Faverolles Thread

Quote:
and we've been suffering with 100 degree temps up here
sickbyc.gif
my poor birds have been suffering and i keep bringing them watermelon and yogurt earlier in the morning to keep them hydrated and eating something.

Quote:
yes, she has blue in her tail and wings! i put her in with Apollo my blue salmon boy and Buffbeauty just got some eggs from that pen. so i am hoping to see those chicks when they hatch!

She is a dark hen almost looks like a blue mahogany if there is such a thing.HA
Dick

Henry said the same thing the first time i posted a pic earlier on the thread. i'm still trying to figure out if she is a mahogany or could be considered a different color! if i could find a mahogany boy for her i'd love to keep her line going! i wish i could get more eggs from the lady i got her from but she lost her hens shortly after i got the eggs sent to me.

i need to get some pics of the lf cuckoo maran/fav cross i got a week and a half ago. she's developing her beard nicely and everything about her screams she got the fav characteristics! is any one familiar with trying to cross LF with bantams and how much size may be affected in the offspring? if i could get another girl with this cross i want to work on getting the cuckoo coloring into the bantams here in the USA! also, anyone know if that is a color already being worked on with favs?

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
and we've been suffering with 100 degree temps up here
sickbyc.gif
my poor birds have been suffering and i keep bringing them watermelon and yogurt earlier in the morning to keep them hydrated and eating something.

I fill shallow pans with cool water in the shade for them to stand in... my birds love stomping in these "puddle pools"...​

somewhere i read that taking gallon bottles of water and freezing them is also a good method of keeping the coop cool for them. i've been trying this and so far it has worked ok. and they will also drink the condensation coming off the bottles which i've seen my girls doing that to the sides of their water dishes when i clean them out, i haven't on the bottles. i've also been icing their water too!

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
Dick

Henry said the same thing the first time i posted a pic earlier on the thread. i'm still trying to figure out if she is a mahogany or could be considered a different color! if i could find a mahogany boy for her i'd love to keep her line going! i wish i could get more eggs from the lady i got her from but she lost her hens shortly after i got the eggs sent to me.

i need to get some pics of the lf cuckoo maran/fav cross i got a week and a half ago. she's developing her beard nicely and everything about her screams she got the fav characteristics! is any one familiar with trying to cross LF with bantams and how much size may be affected in the offspring? if i could get another girl with this cross i want to work on getting the cuckoo coloring into the bantams here in the USA! also, anyone know if that is a color already being worked on with favs?​

In crossing large fowl with bantams. The way I understand it is in making this cross all the chicks will be intermediate. Not large and not bantam. Then you take these intermediates and cross them. If you hatch around 100 chicks 50% should be intermediate, 25% should be bigger than the large fowl you used and 25% should be smaller than the bantam you used, This is The way I understand it. Though I never tried it.
Dick

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
Dick

i need to get some pics of the lf cuckoo maran/fav cross i got a week and a half ago. she's developing her beard nicely and everything about her screams she got the fav characteristics! is any one familiar with trying to cross LF with bantams and how much size may be affected in the offspring? if i could get another girl with this cross i want to work on getting the cuckoo coloring into the bantams here in the USA! also, anyone know if that is a color already being worked on with favs?​

Oh, you got the little cross pullet
smile.png
I can check through the chicks if you like to see what there is I think we hatched a few from that cross and may still have some of the chicks. Was not actually a planned thing, the Maran was looking for a home so we took her and the Favs. were the only ones that would allow her to be with them, not sure about the chick being full sized LF she is in with a bantam fav male. So gave away a few of the eggs and hatched some to see what they would look like. Wonder what color eggs she will lay? Would love to see cuckoo favs
smile.png
My head is spinning with all the colors being worked with, we really need to get that building started
big_smile.png

Quote:
You and me both.
smile.png
It not easy to get motivated to build when it's so stinkin' hot. It's still 83 in the house.

Quote:
You and me both.
smile.png
It not easy to get motivated to build when it's so stinkin' hot. It's still 83 in the house.

Boy, I hear that. We have AC in the main part of the house, but that doesn't help with getting that building done
smile.png

Quote:
Boy, I hear that. We have AC in the main part of the house, but that doesn't help with getting that building done
smile.png

No AC here, or at the place in China. Poor Dutch. he's the worst off. So I'm still up, and so is Jonathan. He's watching Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs chase chickens around in Miami.

So how many red roos do you have now?

Quote:
smile.png

No AC here, or at the place in China. Poor Dutch. he's the worst off. So I'm still up, and so is Jonathan. He's watching Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs chase chickens around in Miami.

So how many red roos do you have now?

i've been trying to convince my dh to allow me to put a larger ac in the garage so i can do some work and help the chickens in there keep cool! he finally put the ac in our upstairs bedroom last night! it's been well into the 90's in our upstairs area where the bedrooms are at!
barnie.gif
trying to sleep in that has been a killer on me! i can just imagine how it's been on most of the chickens during the day! one of my girls spent the night in the house again as i was trying to keep her from crashing from heat stroke! she laid a soft shell egg while she was in here but she seemed happy once that was out of her and she stayed put in front of the household ac while it was set on 66! that is the 3rd soft shell egg in the past 2 weeks out of my favs!
hmm.png
it has to be stress from the heat since they all have plenty of access to oyster shell and i've been giving them yogurt too!

Back
Top Bottom