Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Nice bird. Where did you get her.
Dick

She got her from me and I hatched eggs from Melissa in Texas.

Henry

Quote:
Nice bird. Where did you get her.
Dick

Henry

Yes, I bought them from Henry at Susquehanna Show as a started pair. I'll have to contact Melissa and ask about eggs for January. I have Roger too Henry and plan on breeding them even though he has the comb defect.

Quote:

Henry

Yes, I bought them from Henry at Susquehanna Show as a started pair. I'll have to contact Melissa and ask about eggs for January. I have Roger too Henry and plan on breeding them even though he has the comb defect.

Hopefully you can get some chicks without the comb problem and keep them. Faverolles is Dick so hopefully he can help you out with some eggs in the spring!

Henry

Are Salmon Favarolles really really slow to mature? I have a March hatched girl and have been getting eggs from the RIRs but not from the Salmon Favarolle. I have to say this is the only Favarolle I've known but so far she hasn't shown any redeeming qualities. Not to get too personal about the poor girl but she's kinda annoying, runs funny, and has been low on the totem pole in all areas. She has the most peculiar behavior too. I'm feeling a bit alone in the favarolle thread as everyone seems to adore the breed. Anyway, the fact that she's not laying yet is starting to become a factor. Does anyone have experience with this? Maybe I'm just expecting too much?
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Where did you get her? hatchery Faverolles are a whole different bird from breeder quality Faverolles. They are often very different in temperament and looks. You cannot expect her to keep up with RIR which have been bred solely for egg production for many years. 8 months is a long time to wait for eggs I agree not sure what could be happening. Hope she redeems herself many birds calm down a lot when they begin to lay at least mine always have. Some of my Faverolles have been very skittish but when they start to lay they become very sweet and friendly.

Hope your experience with the breed improves.

Quote:
Where did you get her? hatchery Faverolles are a whole different bird from breeder quality Faverolles. They are often very different in temperament and looks. You cannot expect her to keep up with RIR which have been bred solely for egg production for many years. 8 months is a long time to wait for eggs I agree not sure what could be happening. Hope she redeems herself many birds calm down a lot when they begin to lay at least mine always have. Some of my Faverolles have been very skittish but when they start to lay they become very sweet and friendly.

once mine started to lay, they calmed right down, that don't mind being picked up now.
as for egg production, I have one Sex-link she Lays a Large - Jumbo Egg daily, the 5 Favarolles might lay 2 medium eggs a day, or some times non (like today) thats since it got cold, they used to lay 4-5 per day, and they started right @ 6 months old.

60687_dscf8518.jpg
60687_dscf8520.jpg

you can tell who Layed which Egg
60687_dscf8575.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

once mine started to lay, they calmed right down, that don't mind being picked up now.
as for egg production, I have one Sex-link she Lays a Large - Jumbo Egg daily, the 5 Favarolles might lay 2 medium eggs a day, or some times non (like today) thats since it got cold, they used to lay 4-5 per day, and they started right @ 6 months old.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60687_dscf8518.jpg https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60687_dscf8520.jpg

you can tell who Layed which Egg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60687_dscf8575.jpg

That's interesting. The two Faverolles hens that I had last winter laid without slow down all winter long. They usually only laid an egg every other day, but they did so consistently from the time they started laying regardless of the season.

My chicks will be two weeks old tomorrow and I am wondering if those who have more experience with this breed can determine the sex of these chicks.

60048_100_0788.jpg

60048_100_0790.jpg

Some of the chicks seem to have light feathers coming in on their shoulders/backs like the first chick pictured. The second chick pictured does not have these feathers.

(The two dark beaks are silkie chicks.)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom