Faverolles Thread

Sidney, IN....Google maps says two hours and seventeen minutes from you.
smile.png

Looks like more whites popped up again today. Here are a couple of them. It's tough to see the grey/black cast on them because of the sun. The last chick to hatch could also be another white, but I won't know until it dries.

13729_032811_01.jpg

13729_032811_00.jpg

So does anyone understand mottling? Here are the belly feathers of a chick from the last hatch whose down looked similar to a mottled chick pattern. Sorry, my camera doesn't do close ups well. The feathers are white-tipped. Is this something that will disappear into solid coloring or will it become more prevalent after the first molt into a mottled pattern? I've never had mottled birds so I don't know how they feather out. I have 3 like this.

13729_0328111_08.jpg

Quote:
Mottled..... the chicks would be white underneath with black on top and should have black spot on their heads. This is for a full mottled bird. I believe feathersite has pictures of chicks of mottled houdans. Check it out.
Dick

If those are pure salmon you just need to be patient. They should come in all black. Some males will, on occasion, show some "frosting" on there black feathers. That is bot desirable, but don't make any culling decisions until they have their adult plumage.

Quote:
These are bantam blacks and blues. Dick though the mottled gene may still be present in some of these, so I was wondering how mottleds actually feather out. I'm bringing a couple of hens down to him tomorrow so I may bring these with me to see what he has to say.

Quote:
These are bantam blacks and blues. Dick though the mottled gene may still be present in some of these, so I was wondering how mottleds actually feather out. I'm bringing a couple of hens down to him tomorrow so I may bring these with me to see what he has to say.

Oooooh ok. I understand why you would have that question then.

Back
Top Bottom