Faverolles Thread

Quote:
Beautiful lady
smile.png

Quote:
Hey Melissa!!! I've been wondering about you and what you've been up to! Great to see you on here!!!
frow.gif
ya.gif

Great to see you too! Man alive what a rough summer with the Texas drought and the fires. We had literally months of days over 100. We just almost threw in the towel... all our neighbors did, sending livestock to the stockyards in droves.

We have managed to hold on. Amazingly we only lost about a dozen chickens to heat and smoke. The cows, calves, goats, kids, pig and piglets, horses and foal all survived which is better than most can say. Our pastures are scorched and may never be the same... dead trees everywhere... No farming is not for the faint hearted.

Sorry to hear it was so bad out there this past summer. We get our fair share of fire out in Southern Californina but nothing like you Texans had this year. I hope you folks get enough rain this winter to bring things back to life again.

I am glad to hear you guys hung in there, made the most of your harsh situation and have managed to come out stronger!

Quote:
Hey Melissa!!! I've been wondering about you and what you've been up to! Great to see you on here!!!
frow.gif
ya.gif

Great to see you too! Man alive what a rough summer with the Texas drought and the fires. We had literally months of days over 100. We just almost threw in the towel... all our neighbors did, sending livestock to the stockyards in droves.

We have managed to hold on. Amazingly we only lost about a dozen chickens to heat and smoke. The cows, calves, goats, kids, pig and piglets, horses and foal all survived which is better than most can say. Our pastures are scorched and may never be the same... dead trees everywhere... No farming is not for the faint hearted.

pasofinofarm, you should write a book! I would definitely by it! I love reading about people and their real life farming...it makes me so appreciate all their time, money, and hard work they put in it and the food on our table
hugs.gif
I know now I could never do it. But I still love reading about it and how many farmers are getting away from using machines and going back to using draft horses. I thoroughly enjoy reading the RUAL HERITAGE magazine as well.

Hope this year will be much better for you! We need our farmers!!!

Last edited:
I could not imagine having that many DAYS over 100. Congrats for hanging in there and moving forward. We are in Wisconsin and have had a GREAT winter if you do not like snow. We have only got about a inch or so and that is it. The geese love it because the pasture grass is there for the taking at all times. I can drain the hose and just leave it on the ground. Hard to believe since we usually have about 50 inches by now.

frow.gif
Hi guys!!!

I have 2 LF Salmon Fav roosters I am trying to decide between (both from Patterson). One has more of a bleach blonde hackles and the other has more of a golden blonde. What do you guys think?

I will get around to posting pics eventually.

Yes, they both have full beards and are nice and big. The bleach blonde one does have his 4th and 5th toe slightly fused together.

I really just need to make it a point to take a camera out there today and post some pics.

some pretty looking girls there PromiseLand. how old are the 2 roos? are those LF? how many hens to roosters do you have at the moment? (sorry, i'm just full of questions today!
tongue.png
)

i've found that the bantam boys with the lighter color in their wing bows tend to get whiter in their beards as they're aging. they've also been getting lacing in the breast feathers near their beards. i don't have any of the darker wing bow boys at an old enough age right now, so i've been wondering if this can happen to them as well. i do know that my oldest roo tends to produce some nice looking girls with decent lacing because of his light color and the lacing in his breast. he's been put over darker/smudged girls so the light to dark pairing seems to work well.

if you haven't already found it, check out Peter Merlin's website. i think i would keep those 2 roos a little longer since one appears to be a light boy and the other is a dark. take your hens and pullets with the lightest coloring and pair them up with the dark boy. and the darker/smudged girls paired with the lighter boy. good toe separation on the hens may help some with those boys.

Back
Top Bottom