Faverolles Thread

So I hatched some of my mutt eggs. Just a few to test my incubator. I had a pleasant surprise. When one of the chicks stood up it has five toes. I did not think any of my young boys were actually getting to my hens. What a surprise. It seems to be a chocolate color. I will get pics when it gets a little older. I am curious to see what color it turns out to be.

Quote:
Cull the one with the toe defect. Bad feet are a lot harder to correct with future generations then things like feather color. I culled an entire line of BEAUTIFUL BC Marans last year because of toe defects which seemed to get more prominent with each successive generation. The gene that causes fused toes(Syndactyly) in linked to the gene that gives feather legs.

Just my very humble opinion and of course as always you are completely free to ignore it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cull the one with the toe defect. Bad feet are a lot harder to correct with future generations then things like feather color. I culled an entire line of BEAUTIFUL BC Marans last year because of toe defects which seemed to get more prominent with each successive generation. The gene that causes fused toes(Syndactyly) in linked to the gene that gives feather legs.

Just my very humble opinion and of course as always you are completely free to ignore it.

I agree with this, it is inheritied.

Quote:

I also agree not to use the one with the toe defect unless you absolutely have to, but wouldn't it be a good idea to keep him as a "back up" in case something happens to the other one? It looks like the girls have good toes from what I can see, so if she had to use the one with the fused toes, she could until she could get a cockerel with good toe spacing, and just cull hard for toes...not the ideal situation, but maybe better than getting stuck with no male at all. What are your thoughts Melissa? Would you even bother keeping him as a back up or just cross that bridge if/when you came to it?

That is really good to know though that the fused toe gene is linked to feathered legs...I had never heard that before..
smile.png

Thank you everyone for the advice. I originally had 3 roosters and one just dropped dead about 5 months ago. Before he died, I planned on getting rid of the one with the fused toe, but now I do believe I will keep him in the bachelor quarters. Good quality Faverolles are very, very hard to find around here. I have had 5 flocks of Salmon Faverolles (in the past 5 years) and just kept selling them when they got about 1 year old because they were just poor quality. I then got hatching eggs from Ron Patterson, who is such a wonderful person. And now I finally have my beautiful birds I always wanted. So, with that said I won't be selling my cull rooster, but just keeping him just incase. That is very good to know that the fused toes are passed down to their offspring.

Chickiesmoma: They are LF and will be a year old in March/April.

Ewesheep: Thanks so much for the compliment.

Faverolles are by far my favorite breed and I just love coming on BYC and seeing everyone's pictures and reading about your birds and hatches.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi folks! Does anyone have any reasonably priced hatching eggs for sale? Hoping to find some to hatch for a friend who was nice enough to let me borrow her incubator for a while. They don't have to be show quality, breed standard is fine.. PM me Please if you have any eggs for sale.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom