Faverolles Thread

I have some questions, maybe you guys and girls can help?

I have an SF boy who got sick a while back (cocci) and the vet gave me baytril injections and something for the specific line of cocci (I forget). Well, he pulled through. But, he isn't quite the same. He appears to have a little neuro disconnect - his gate is a little off, and he seems to have trouble seeing or focusing - only sometimes.... And when he "leaps" off the roost in the morning, it is so ugly and ungraceful! - PeeWee has to be one tough bird!
Question: does baytril cause infertility in roosters? I may have to cull him anyway, I think he has the split wing thing. I need to look at some samples online.

Next issue: PeeWee's 2 sisters have ugly toes!
lol.png
The are beautiful girls - just don't look down! One seems to have toes 4 & 5 coming out of the same root and number two has almost all 5 on the ground.

What should I do? These were to be the start of my show quality flock (PW does have a nice brother, he's the strong point in the collection!)....

Oh, I'm making room in the coop for newbies in the spring, I'll be on all of your waiting lists for eggs!
wink.png

The bantam blue salmon cock that I posted a few pages back is permanently infertile thanks to Baytril. Also, at the last veterinary conference one of my Dr.s went to, she went to a backyard poultry workshop since we're seeing so many chickens at our practice lately, and she was told that it is now illegal to use Baytril in backyard flocks, as well as cephalosporins, due to concern over creating resistant strains of bugs in chickens, and what that could mean for the commercial poultry industry in the US.

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of toes on the 2nd pullet to see what you mean about all 5 toes on the ground...

I know what you're talking about with the claw toe thing (looks like a crab-claw, yes?)...I wouldn't use that bird... :(

Any chance you'll be getting down this direction any time soon? I might have a couple of extra pullet youngsters for you... ;)

Yes!
wee.gif
bow.gif
I would make a trip for your birds! Tell me when and I'll be there!!

I'll try to get some pics, it may take me a couple of days, I'll pm you when I get 'em up.... Wow, baytril is hardcore stuff.... ok, well, I don't think I can eat PW after saving his life. He's just the sweetest thing. Maybe he'll just be "yard art"
wink.png

Yep, that's what Duncan is..yard art...LOL OK, I'll let you know, it'll probably be at least a week or two...are you set up for hatching right now? I might be able to get a couple of eggs together too...not too many right now, due to molting, etc...but maybe a few... ;)

Thank you!
ya.gif
- I have a friend who is set up for hatching, she would love to do the honors! Yes, a couple of mine are molting too, poor things, they look ragged.... I look forward to meeting you
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom