Faverolles Thread

smile.png
Eye candy!

I totally understand what the others are saying though, if I'm gonna breed these birds, I should be willing to do what's right for the breed and respect the time, money and heartache others have poured into this work.
It's a very hard concept to adjust to, no matter how correct it is. It seems so harsh, but this is what it takes to make progress. In all these years I've only hatched two or three times. Lately, I hatched a little girl with only four toes. I knew she was going for a pet - and the people were strongly warned NOT to breed her, and they promised they would not - and I was holding this little thing thinking "if this was a male, would I have the strength to cull it right there?" I know the answer at the time was no, and, until I can answer yes, I don't plan on breeding my own. Until I can answer yes for all of the steps when decisions on culling need to be made, I am no asset to the future of any breed I admire. It's really very hard, and I hope by the time I get some more space to establish a good program, I will be able to do what is required.

On a happy note, until then, I take advantage of all of the years of knowledge and buy birds from the best breeders - I let them do the work for me, and these birds are worth every penny!

my friend that does it uses a local anestetic, basically they are offcal 'bug eaters' they aren't aggressive, very much like a laying hen-
You haven't met my hatchery Rhode Island Red. Meaner then any rooster I have ever had besides one bantam. But at least she gives me an egg every day. She and a couple other hens will be going into the crock pot as soon as the faverolles I am getting this weekend start laying. There is a huge difference in personality between hatchery and breeder stock. Plus an even bigger difference in personality between Faverolles and other breeds. Probably just going to keep my Marans and Easter Egger pullets to add some color to the egg basket and the others will go.

Speaking of! As its midnight in my part of the world. I am getting my faverolles pullets from Keesmom tomorrow! I will post pictures when I am back from Maine and they are settled in to their new digs. Will be getting 6 pullets!

Quote: I mostly agree with this too. Except I would rather eat them or grow them out and let someone else eat them. Then I won't feel like their life is wasted. I have a guy that will process and eat any bird I have that I don't want. I am going to learn to process this Feb. My vet always get meaties and has said I could come help. Luckily he lives close. This is just my opinion and feelings. I suppose if I had a chick that has some real issues I would cull at very early, but otherwise I would rather process later.
smile.png

I do have to qualify this with the fact that I don't have nor do I intend to have hundreds of birds that would be super expensive to feed. I am VERY small scale.

Quote: I mostly agree with this too. Except I would rather eat them or grow them out and let someone else eat them. Then I won't feel like their life is wasted. I have a guy that will process and eat any bird I have that I don't want. I am going to learn to process this Feb. My vet always get meaties and has said I could come help. Luckily he lives close. This is just my opinion and feelings. I suppose if I had a chick that has some real issues I would cull at very early, but otherwise I would rather process later.
smile.png

I do have to qualify this with the fact that I don't have nor do I intend to have hundreds of birds that would be super expensive to feed. I am VERY small scale.
I definitely agree with that. By eating them they have served a purpose other than meeting - or not meeting - a set of aesthetic requirements. I am vegetarian, so I wouldn't eat then myself. Ultimately, I would like to have a microscopic version of Joel Salatin's set-up, where I would have enough culls for a regular supply of dinners to customers, thus exposing the breed to others who have never eaten heritage fowl. The reality is that all rare heritage livestock cannot keep going without serving the purpose for which they were created, and for many of them, their purpose is to become dinner. (I brought this up in a letter to a Farm Sanctuary rep when I was looking for a bit of guidance on the subject a while back, and she ripped me a new one over the killing of animals. I haven't really supported them too much since.)

Back
Top Bottom