Faverolles x Barred Rock. Sex link?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Jaydiar, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Kat C

Kat C Songster

Feb 25, 2018
    Alabama
    The barred hen to non barred rooster always works, but in a flock like ours with birds already having mixed genetics we get interesting results, like blue barred, red barred and even splash barred. Blue barring tends to be indistinct on hens and often looks like black barring in a roo. Red barring is called Crele. Barring on a splash may only show up on a few hackle and saddle feathers. Probably more than you wanted to know but gives me an excuse to share a few pics and point out how fun it is to cross breed :)
    Broos 7.JPG Mona 7.JPG Alf ya.JPG

2. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    very cool! makes sense about the Crele. :D

3. JShepherd

JShepherd In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I wondered the same thing. I hatched out 7 chicks from a blue partridge brahma roo crossed with barred rock hens and got 4 silver to dark gray chicks and 3 blackish ones that look like my rocks did as chicks. Wondered if they were sex linked.

Attached Files:

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    @JShepherd

You are looking for white head spots to identify which chicks are males from that cross. The down colour is not relevant, only the head spot.

5. JShepherd

JShepherd In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Ok, thank you! Looks like I only have one boy then. Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: