Favorelle in pain, large warm vent abcess?

CCinVT

Songster
Jun 9, 2017
Hello,
I am going to try and list her info as best as I can. Vern is 1yr old. She went Broody this spring and hatched 3 chicks. She was free ranging in the back yard, and was attacked by a fox. One chick died, and I thought I had lost Vern too. About 5 hrs later she had dragged herself back to her coop. There was a trail of blood up the bank to the coop from where she had been hiding. There was also "gore" from her vent area. I was worried it was her insides :( , but with my husbands help we washed her rear with warm water and light soap. I saw no open wouds. I checked her the next day, and saw what appeared to be bruising. She still had the chicks still, but was clearly in pain. I kept her seperate during the first few days, and I put her with them at night. This arrangement seemed to work, and over the coarse of 1-2 weeks she accepted the babies more, and more. She seemed to be healing/healed. Normal behavior resumed. This is the only trauma I know she has experienced. It happened about 4 weeks ago. Yesterday she started roosting with the babies. They are well over 6 weeks old now so I just figured it was that time. When she was exiting the coop yesterday a rooster jumped off the roost and landed on her, but it seemed like normal chicken morning chaos. I have been waging war on mites. I washed chicken butts 2 days ago for mites, but just sprayed Vern because I didnt want to stress her and the babies. I am trying Spinosad after not enough luck with neem. This morning I noticed she had "sad chicken tail".she was eatting, and participating with the flock so I thought I would keep an eye on her. When I got back to the house today, and went to close up the chooks I noticed she was panting, and still had sad chicken tail.. No other chicken is behaving the same. I also checked all other butts, and no one else's looks like hers. I have attached a pic below. I took it right before this post. I don't want to put her through a vet visit if it isn't nessicary. I also don't want to put her down if I don't need to. I'm not sure if I missed anything, but please help me if you can. She clearly still has bugs. Everyone who got a butt wash has improved a lot. Maybe a warm bath would help her? The abscesses are warm and feel "full" she tolerated me looking at her bum, but she didnt love it. The one on the bottom is ping pong ball sized. I'm so worried about her. I also posted a pic of her roosting on the edge of her brood box last night. For comparison. Since tackling these mites I switched the bedding from wood chips to forest debris. Pine needles and dried leaves. I have sprinkled wood ash, and putting mint and geranium in the bedding and nest areas. I do not think/have not noticed her laying an egg yet since she went brood in April. I hope I covered my bases. I'm looking anxiously for replys. Sorry for the essay, but I'm sure the more info the better right?View attachment 1044055 View attachment 1044053

What type of electrolyte? I feel aweful. I will get Epsom salt first thing in the morning. How long should I soak for? Thanks for the reply. I have been compulsively checking.

Wow i'm so glad to wake up with more replies, even we are not confidant what happened. I have to go to a graduation this afternoon, but will have this morning, and evening to treat her.
Wow I would soak in warm Epsom salt water and give electrolytes.
What do you give a chicken for electrolytes? I am going to go get the epsom salts ASAP, and will do the warm bath this morning. How long do i do it for. I am going to have to bring her in the house for this. It's chilly and rainy out. Will it stress out her little ones to much?

Something may have gotten in there when she was attacked..and caused an infection.
Invest in some permethrin spray to get rid of the mites.
I would hope that antibiotics would help but they may not. :confused:
I think something looks like something may have gotten into where she was attacked. We never could find the wounds. I picked her up, and flipped her over to try and see them again. I can't see them, even as big as they are with her in that position. no wonder i missed it if that was were her wounds are. I can only see them while she is roosting, and I can lift her tail. My mom has Permethrin spray as last resort for the mites. I used the Spinosad, and it seems to be working better than all my other attempts. you can walk into the coop, and not have them crawling on me. I can feel it's better i'm sure they can too. I am taking the mites seriously as I have broody hatching. She is part of why i didn't want to spray permethrin with her confined it there. I was researching on here, and found a thread about Spinosad. I have used it with sucess on plant mites, but didn't want to put it on chickens without knowing its saftey before. I am taking them seriously, and will use permethrin next if i have to. I stopped being diligent before they were totally gone when my husband suffered a bad eye injury about 3 weeks ago. Vern looks the worst at the moment, as her butt didnt' get a total dip. I had thought i would just try again when i was cleaning the coop/treating again, but with her vent in this condition I think it may have been good I didn't dip her?
I have no idea about antibiotics. I have one bottle in the house dioxicycline? its super old. 2013. I guess that's the last time any of us had a perscription. could i still use these? I feel like i'm over my head.

I have never seen anything like this. curious to hear what others say. Looks like a clear worm hanging from the vent. Im sure its not .
This chicken is such a survivor! I see the "worm". It looked to me like a poopy feather last night. I think that the phone flash added to it's glossy look.

So I guess with all this So far i'm going to start with Epsom salts, and cleaning her butt. I always flip her to check her over, and she has been such an attentive mom nesting with the babies, until she started roosting again the other day, I couldn't just lift her tail like the others. I will post again once i get her washed up, but will continue keeping an eye open for more replies. My sister is a Nurse a couple hrs away (she loves lancing :/), i'm sure i could Enlist her help if i have to. I attached a picture of Vern this morning. She ran right out of the coop, is eating. She appears "normal". You can see her comb is pale still, but I figured it was because I didn't think she was laying again yet. She doesn't have as sad of a chicken tail even this morning! i'm not sure i would have noticed if i hadn't
0616170522_Burst01.jpg
been paying such attention to eradicating these mites. She is still with her babies so the roo's are leaving her alone still. She does seem to be hoping down off of things gingerly, but with her cute short legs it's hard to tell.

Ideally, she would have the lumps examined to determine what they are- a hernia? or granuloma/abscess?. If it is a hernia (from the bite weakening or breaking the muscle, allowing intestine to fall through the abdominal wall and lie under the skin) you sure don't want to lance it! If it is an abscess (which seems a bit more likely) ideally she would get pain meds, have the site cleaned/prepped, and it would be lanced, drained, and flushed. Then a course of antibiotics.
I understand that many people don't want to pay a vet, because they consider it to be "just a chicken". But I think if you can take her to a vet, you will have a better outcome than trying to treat at home.
Good luck with Vern, I hope she feels better soon!

Thank you for the clear advice. I just got back home with Epsom salt, and am warming up the bathroom to clean her up. I have a sister who is a nurse (which I know is diff from a vet.) But she also doesn't suggest lancing right now. I can assure you she is not Just a chicken to me, nor are any of the other animals in my care. Our vet does not specialize in poultry, and is over 30 min away. If I can give her comfort, and get improvement with less stress I will start there. I am closely watching her now, and will consult my vet if there is no improvement or she gets worse. There is no vet close by. Ours is cat/dog, but would be a long drive to get her there. I have to go to a graduation in 2 hrs today. I will be home this weekend though, to continue her care. I will update with a clean bum, and Epsom salt pic. She is roosting in the run right now. Its rainy and cold out.

Could your sister get you any chlorhexidine or betadine scrub? Both are surgical disinfectants, safe to use on tissue, and won't hurt or sting. Then be sure to rinse really well with warm water.
Looking forward to the update!

Back
Top Bottom