Favorite Chicken Treats!

Peepsicle

Songster
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Cali
I'd like to hear about your favorite chicken treats! (treats FOR the chickens, not treats MADE of chicken!!!) Any kind of treat your chickens seem to love, let me know about it! My flock personally thanks you for your advice.
tongue.png

I'll start with the treats I make most often. My chickens love plain Greek yogurt (with or without fresh fruit), pasta, and leftover veggies (mostly lettuce). These are really simple and require almost no prep, but if you know any more complicated ones I want the recipe!

Last edited:
1. Split open pumpkin. Which I find very great in the fall, during the halloween season. Split open the pumpkin or give them the insides when you carve.
2. Watermelon. Smash it, and let them eat the melon!
3. Corn on a cob. They love to pick all of the cooked, or raw corn off of the cob.
4. Apples, they love to just eat it as is, or throwing them the core.
5. Leftover meat bones. My chickens LOVE to pick any of our lamb, beef, or pork bones clean. (We only give it to them if there is no sauce on it and we clean up the bones after they are finished.) This is an excellent source of protein. They prefer it more in the winter when there aren't any bugs for them to eat.

Awesome! I'll definitely start giving them this stuff. I thought that pumpkin seeds could choke them, but if you haven't had that problem I probably won't.

I havent. They usually eat the pumpkin meat and skip the seeds, or you have brave souls who swallow them whole
sickbyc.gif
with no problem.

Thank you! you were probably talking about the one of my horse Dozer and I jumping, but now its Sunny, one of my older girls
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom