Favorite hen having hard time breathing

The acidified copper sulfate may be used alone in the water 1/4 tsp per gallon of water for 3 days per month to help prevent the spread of canker, a protozoan disease carried by pigeons.

If using the plain copper sulfate (not acidified) it has to have some acid added, such as citric acid or I suppose, ACV.

I have a hen displaying very similar symptoms to wildheartdb. My hen is making a high-pitched sneezing noise. I picked her up and noticed the breathing issue. Holding her beak slightly open and a soft wheezing when she exhales. She, otherwise looks and seems to be acting normally. Thinking I need an antibiotic of some sort. Thoughts out there?

Good morning, I got the second half tab of Fish Zole in Margie this morning but she is really struggling to breathe much worse this morning. Should I continue the baytril injections? I noticed some pus on the side of her beak when I tried to give her some vet RX (which she absolutely refused). Is there anything I can do to help her breathe??? What do I do??? She is sitting in my lap just struggling to breathe and my heart is breaking!

Look into her throat. If there's something caught there, it can cause stridor, the noise you hear. Too soon to resort to an antibiotic.

If you start your own thread on this, you'll get a lot of help.
I have a hen displaying very similar symptoms to wildheartdb. My hen is making a high-pitched sneezing noise. I picked her up and noticed the breathing issue. Holding her beak slightly open and a soft wheezing when she exhales. She, otherwise looks and seems to be acting normally. Thinking I need an antibiotic of some sort. Thoughts out there?

If you thought just looking into her mouth was a major endeavor, you'll love what I'm going to tell you to do next. :oops:

You need help this time. Someone needs to hold your bundled up hen while you pry open her mouth again. You need to find some sort of slender scraping tool that won't cut but will be rigid enough to scrape that plaque away from her airway in the center of her throat. It may be blocking her esophagus as well so you will need to do a thoroughly scraping.

It will likely bleed, but it can't be helped. This is sort of like providing a trachea tube to a suffocating human - it may hurt but it will save her life.

I swear, these Indonesian vets can be pretty rough. This video will work if you click on "watch on You Tube" after you click on the video below

OMG, there is no way on this earth I can do that to this sweet little hen! Neither one of us will survive that procedure! I will have to drive 6 hours to Texas A&M before I do this myself!

Look into her throat. If there's something caught there, it can cause stridor, the noise you hear. Too soon to resort to an antibiotic.

If you start your own thread on this, you'll get a lot of help.

This is the thread I started yesterday and Im sooo grateful for the help thus far. Im still wondering if I should continue with the baytril injections? Also can she drink the acified copper water I made for the rest of the flock while she is on the Fish Zole?

This is the thread I started yesterday and Im sooo grateful for the help thus far. Im still wondering if I should continue with the baytril injections? Also can she drink the acified copper water I made for the rest of the flock while she is on the Fish Zole?
How many days of Baytril? If 3-4 days, then I would stop the Baytril. Hard to know if that's canker, but if Baytril and Tylan50 are not making it better, then I would agree, it's likely Canker (protozoa) or some type of fungal infection which antibiotics will not treat.

Some do give the Acidified Copper Sulfate treated water in addition to the Metronidazole.

How much does your hen weigh? Dosage of Metronidazole is 60mg/kg (27mg per pound) given twice a day - I would make sure she's getting the right dosage.

I'm so sorry that Margie is struggling, I hope that she gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom