Favoritism

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RonaldStoddart, Jan 31, 2015.

1. RonaldStoddart

RonaldStoddart New Egg

Jul 21, 2014
    So my wife is the favorite of the little flock of five hens. When I appear they show little interest but when my wife makes an appearance they run to her. What could be the cause. Surely they don't remember me chasing the roosters with a hatchet in my waving fist? Oh, she tends to throw them food and kitchen scraps much more than I do, Maybe that is it.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    No maybe about it - the way to a chicken's heart is through their stomach. They are fickle creatures, you can just as easily sway them to your side.

[​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Ol Grey Mare. My children, granddaughter, and I have made lap pets of many chickens through their stomachs. :eek:)

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Ol Grey Mare, and Michael OShay, that's exactly right! Anyone with the "goods", the are their favorite! But, I will say, my girls love me the best!! [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Bring 'em special treats and they'll love you!

[​IMG]

Simply sitting down with them will help you make friends, too.

[​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

6. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    If they learn that you also bring them goodies to eat.....they will like you too. Chickens seem to remember what they want to. Mine don't remember processing days, but they do remember hawk and dog attacks. And that I bring them treats out. But then, a treat is also part of the training process. They learn that they need to follow the scratch.....into the run....or into the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by