Favus - my Serama Hen has it.

Can you get clear photos of each eye/pupil?

How long have you had her and have you brought any new to you birds home in the last few months?
I have had her since last Fall. She was a few months old then. She had laid eggs as well, and I got chicks from her eggs. She hasn't laid an egg at all since I brought her in, so I don't really know how long maybe before that she may have stopped laying as she was with the other Serama's.
I have not bought a new bird into the Serama coop for over a year now.

The eyes that I can see so far, have a sunken appearance, which can be common in mycoplasma gallisepticum, or MG, a respiratory disease. If you should ever lose her, I would get a necropsy performed by your state poultry vet, just to find out what might have caused her problems. She might have something wrong with her immunity which can be found in Mareks disease. Here is a list of most state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Oops, just saw that you are in Ontario, so we will need to find contact info there.

The eyes that I can see so far, have a sunken appearance, which can be common in mycoplasma gallisepticum, or MG, a respiratory disease. If you should ever lose her, I would get a necropsy performed by your state poultry vet, just to find out what might have caused her problems. She might have something wrong with her immunity which can be found in Mareks disease. Here is a list of most state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Oops, just saw that you are in Ontario, so we will need to find contact info there.
Thank you for the info. I am not sure I will be able to get the proper necropsy done in Northern Ontario. I will place her in the fridge if she dies and call one of the area vets to see how to arrange a necropsy for her.

Another thing you could try on her scaly lesions on her breast is coconut oil. It's a natural anti-fungal, and it will also condition her flaky skin and help it to heal.
Hi, I have done coconut oil and didn't help. Her skin is quite smooth except for the lifting of the dry thick dead skin, which then gets stuck lifting away in a layer between her skin and feathers. I was feeding layer crumble, and since she is in the house I have been feeding her non medicated chick starter, which is what many people keep their Serama's on all their life. She seems mostly healthy other than the skin at this point. It's a bit of a mystery and I hope I can fix her up. I really don't want to have to put her down. I love all my little Serama's, and big chickens. :)

Maybe this tiny girl has seborrheic dermatitis. It's like cradle cap or dandruff, and you treat it with a dandruff shampoo. No harm in trying it.
Seborrheic dermatitis - that has also crossed my mind and I have bought the dandruff shampoo. So I was doing the canestin cream this week. When I bath her starting this weekend I am going to try the dandruff shampoo. I was thinking maybe it was some kind of dermatitis caused by the reaction to having the scaly leg mites, who knows. Everyone including chickens can have different reactions to things, and allergies. When I first got chickens I had such itchy arms right up to my shoulders almost. I couldn't stop scratching. The doctor didn't see anything either. It went away in about three months. I figure it may have been a reaction to chicken dander, and that I just finally got used to it.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom