Feather craft's, anyone?

Back when I had time to be crafty - I used feathers to decorate small dream catchers. Feathers that already had interesting colours/patterns were used as per nature intended, others were dyed.

In New Zealand.. in the Maori culture, it is traditional to weave ceremonial cloaks (korowai) using feathers, which I've always admired for both creativity and beauty. I cannot see any reason why someone couldn't do any other weaving project and incorporate feathers??

View attachment 1223312

View attachment 1223305

Yes, this is what I meant by craft ideas with them! Thank's for your contribution!

PS... If I was allowed to give you more than one like for showing me this beautiful pic of what they make over there, I would!

I like to collect feathers of my chickens so when that chicken is gone I can remember that chicken when I see it's feather. I also have an all white hen named Chenoa that I got a feather from that I dyed with easter egg dye. Then my older sister made a necklace out of it. Feathers are very popular in jewelry especially Guinea Hen feathers.

I made this dream catcher a while back but i would love to figure out what to do with the tails down as i think i made them too long... They tangle a lot. The hoop is a vine from my yard i trained into a circle.

Attachments

• JPEG_20180104_085936_163108675.jpg
    JPEG_20180104_085936_163108675.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 5
There was a craft contest, I vaguely remember, someone made some really pretty earrings from feathers. I'll see if I can find it, there may have been other feather crafts.

@Elmochook love your dreamcatcher idea!

My husband started doing some trapping this year (coyotes, foxes, etc) and I gathered a bunch of feather for him to use around traps. :oops:

Earrings are a great idea! Those were super popular a couple years ago.
When I was a kid I had a hair feather put in. Just a feather clinched into the hair with a small metal ring. Can be washed with hair, etc. Could dye cool colors for kids. Falls out after a while or can be taken out by bending the metal ring open. Or put them on clips for a more temporary option.
Cat toys. Of course I have a kitten so she loves feather toys.
If you get a big enough feather you can make calligraphy pens. You can purchase metal tips or just cut the feather at an angle. Buy or make your own ink for dipping. Perfect for us Harry Potter nerds ;)

Back
Top Bottom