Feather fixer or all flock

Jeanboo

Chirping
Jun 13, 2021
Hi. I got a flock today from someone, and several of the ladies seem to be molting. It is February, and VERY VERY cold here. Anyway, I was wondering which is better for helping regrow their feathers, 20% all flock or 18% FF? All hatched last summer and supposed to be laying. I also have one rooster, his feathers are in great shape.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206-203612_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-203612_Gallery.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20220206-203521_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-203521_Gallery.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220206-203455_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-203455_Gallery.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220206-203406_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-203406_Gallery.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 20
Are you sure they are molting? What I can see in the third and fourth picture looks like a hen that is a favorite of the rooster. I'm seeing a brown hen that seems to have damage from being mounted. Most roosters have favorite hens they like to mount often.

I feed All Flock year round. The hens do well on it. I like the 20% protein.

Forgot to mention earlier that you should offer crushed oyster shells on the side to provide extra calcium to the hens.

Last edited:
Are you sure they are molting? What I can see in the third and fourth picture looks like a hen that is a favorite of the rooster. I'm seeing a brown hen that seems to have damage from being mounted. Most roosters have favorite hens they like to mount often.

I feed All Flock year round. The hens do well on it. I like the 20% protein.

Forgot to mention earlier that you should offer crushed oyster shells on the side to provide extra calcium to the hens.
They are missing feathers on their whole neck, front too. The pics are screenshots off a video I took. I'll get better pics today.

For feather growth, 20% all flock. Don't get caught up in the name "feather fixer," it's a layer feed with a little extra protein. Assuming you want to keep your rooster around a long time, layer feed is not optimal as he does not need the extra calcium that's in layer.
Ok. Thanks

Agreeing with Rosemary and adding that the hens don't need the extra calcium of layer year round.. Be it slowed production of molt or winter or just infrequent layers. Some can even get a good supply of calcium from the environment. I think 20% all flock/flock raiser with oyster shell on the side is the better practice for most BYC.

"Feather Fixer" is 18% protein "Layer feed" - look at the calcium it contains. All Flock is superior to speed molt, for overall body condition, for egg size and frequency (barely), for raising new chicks, and poses no calcium toxicity problem for your rooster.

Its not a close question.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom