Feather lice - supplements and treatment

Jwoods93

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2016
Hey all!

My flock has had trouble with feather lice as of late. Two of my 15 hens seem to have it the worst, I've noticed. Others have minimal lice.

These two hens are the oldest, about 6 years each. I wonder if old age/weakened immune system is making them lice hotspots?

Currently, I am "dusting" them with diatomaceous earth. I dusted each one one night last week, then seven days later the other night. Will two more treatments between 7 days, to try to destroy any new lice cycles.

My question is; any suppliments or other I should add to my treatment? I know garlic has been recommended in posts I've read. Considering dosing the feed with crushed/minced garlic gloves.

Thanks all!

Hey all!

My flock has had trouble with feather lice as of late. Two of my 15 hens seem to have it the worst, I've noticed. Others have minimal lice.

These two hens are the oldest, about 6 years each. I wonder if old age/weakened immune system is making them lice hotspots?

Currently, I am "dusting" them with diatomaceous earth. I dusted each one one night last week, then seven days later the other night. Will two more treatments between 7 days, to try to destroy any new lice cycles.

My question is; any suppliments or other I should add to my treatment? I know garlic has been recommended in posts I've read. Considering dosing the feed with crushed/minced garlic gloves.

Thanks all!
Welcome to BYC!
Yes, some birds seem more prone, not sure why.
Do they look like this?:
upload_2017-9-13_6-53-16.png

Egg clusters at base of feathers like this?:
upload_2017-9-13_6-53-56.png

DE will not kill an infestation and dusting with it is a serous respiratory irritant for the birds and the applier.
Be careful with the garlic it can be toxic if given too much or too often.
I would recommend a 10% permethrin spray for treating a lice infestation,
2 treatments 7-10 days apart.

Yes the one on the right is sold as a fly repellant for horses but the main ingredient in it is Permethrin..which can be used to kill lice and mites.
I use it in my coop as a preventative.
Using an insecticide as a preventative could create resistance,
not a good idea IMO as it could make an actual infestation difficult to treat.

Welcome! Permethrin spray is the best and easiest to use for this. At night when they are roosting is the best time to spray, and then spray the coop too. Permethrin dust works, but is nasty to use and costs more.
DE is useless and bad to inhale. It's strip mined; I wonder how long those folks live? Ugh!
When you have chickens, they are considered livestock, because they produce eggs and meat, and the products that are good (and legal) to use on them are more tightly controlled (and should be!). Unless a product is labelled for use on poultry, it's best to not use it! Permethrin products labelled for poultry will have directions for use for chickens and poultry houses. Stick with those, and follow the directions! Mary

This bottle from Tractor Supply will make many gallons, so that's what I would get.
View attachment 1137076

That is the exact one I got from my own tractor supply- I used it this past saturday and I am amazed by the results! I combed through my girl's feathers on monday and I did not see any. My oldest hen, Chai, who had the worst of the infestation, was clean. Will follow up with the second treatment this saturday night.

Diluted 1:200 parts.

Thank you guys so much! Glad I'm not wasting my time and my girl's health with my previous method anymore!

I'm afraid you are wasting your time trying to get rid of lice with DE.
You will be better of getting a permethrin based spray.
View attachment 1134921 View attachment 1134922

I'm noticing the fly spray is a repellent and can't read what the other says... Since it's a repellent
Question: could it be used in the coop area for prevention when changing the bedding
Or is that too weird? :)

any tips on preventing a lice or bug infestation? Aside from keeping things clean in the coop and run or pen area. THanks ahead of time

Yes the one on the right is sold as a fly repellant for horses but the main ingredient in it is Permethrin..which can be used to kill lice and mites.

I use it in my coop as a preventative.

Yes! They look exactly like that. I have not been able to see/locate nits, though.

And, thank you for the advice. I am picking up some permethrin spray (Bronco brand) tonight and will start the (actual) treatment this weekend. I appreciate it, folks!
This bottle from Tractor Supply will make many gallons, so that's what I would get.
gordons_4.PNG

Welcome to BYC!
Yes, some birds seem more prone, not sure why.
Do they look like this?:
View attachment 1135176
Egg clusters at base of feathers like this?:
View attachment 1135177

DE will not kill an infestation and dusting with it is a serous respiratory irritant for the birds and the applier.
Be careful with the garlic it can be toxic if given too much or too often.
I would recommend a 10% permethrin spray for treating a lice infestation,
2 treatments 7-10 days apart.

Using an insecticide as a preventative could create resistance,
not a good idea IMO as it could make an actual infestation difficult to treat.

Yes! They look exactly like that. I have not been able to see/locate nits, though.

And, thank you for the advice. I am picking up some permethrin spray (Bronco brand) tonight and will start the (actual) treatment this weekend. I appreciate it, folks!

Back
Top Bottom