Feather loss/Purple feather

Shxrty

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys,

my gorgeous isa brown has been aggressively preening one section of her body to the point where there is noticeable feather loss. I went to inspect and found a purple feather. Could this be causing her pain and should I pull it out? I’m worried if I pull it that it will get infected. Could it be an ingrown feather? Any ideas would be super helpful. Attached is some pictures, they aren’t very good it was hard to hold her between my legs and hold her head while taking photos as it is to the left of her crop at the nape of her neck.

Thank you so much I’m advance 6952E1C9-C901-445B-AD4F-E7E4AC14D989.jpeg

Attachments

• D5DFA203-5EB3-4EEB-8A29-4430BD239C25.jpeg
    D5DFA203-5EB3-4EEB-8A29-4430BD239C25.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 3818CF38-7C6A-4B2D-94C3-F4980BB555DF.jpeg
    3818CF38-7C6A-4B2D-94C3-F4980BB555DF.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 8
How old is she?
Where on the body is that - a picture of the whole hen may be in order.

The purple feather is a blood feather (pen feather) which is a new emerging feather coming in. It's purple because at this time it has blood supply. Once it grows out more it will not be purple and the protective keratin sheath will be preened off.

She has broken feather shafts surrounding that so at some point she's broken some feathers...could be from wear, hitting them, a rooster, other hens damaging them, etc.

Look her over really well for lice/mites. She just may be preening that spot since she's got some new growth coming in and it itches.

How old is she?
Where on the body is that - a picture of the whole hen may be in order.

The purple feather is a blood feather (pen feather) which is a new emerging feather coming in. It's purple because at this time it has blood supply. Once it grows out more it will not be purple and the protective keratin sheath will be preened off.

She has broken feather shafts surrounding that so at some point she's broken some feathers...could be from wear, hitting them, a rooster, other hens damaging them, etc.

Look her over really well for lice/mites. She just may be preening that spot since she's got some new growth coming in and it itches.
It is to the left of her crop on the left side of her neck, they had lice a while ago but I treated them and they’re fine now but she hasn’t stopped preening that one section. We’re also in summer so she is moulting. I don’t have a rooster and she’s the top hen so she doesn’t get preened of pecked by anyone else in the flock. She is probably just itchy she has only been snapping feathers in this area. Thank you for the help I’m glad she isn’t in paint and that I didn’t lance it, aha.

It is to the left of her crop on the left side of her neck, they had lice a while ago but I treated them and they’re fine now but she hasn’t stopped preening that one section. We’re also in summer so she is moulting. I don’t have a rooster and she’s the top hen so she doesn’t get preened of pecked by anyone else in the flock. She is probably just itchy she has only been snapping feathers in this area. Thank you for the help I’m glad she isn’t in paint and that I didn’t lance it, aha.
I won't hurt to keep watch on it to make sure it unfurls in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom