MallardMama19

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
Minnesota
Hey guys! It’s been awhile, but I have a question… I apologize if it’s been asked before….
I have a mixed flock of 2 buff Orpingtons, 2 Easter eggers, and 2 reds, all hens. My one Easter egged, Willow, has feather loss. Theee are no woulds, just looks like she has been plucked. I have 2 big runs that they are enclosed in with their coop when I’m not home, other wise are free ranged when we are home. There is a pile of feathers by their dust bath, and then one by where I have a feed hanging in their run. I have had only a small issue with pecking with my flock, but I’ve usually found wounds, I’ve never seen where there is no wounds. She has never liked to be picked up, and has always been a bit skiddish… but seems to be slightly more timid?? She just got done being broody about 3 -4 weeks ago. They have 2 spots where they dust bath, both I make sure to sprinkle with DE every other month or two…. No other chickens are injured or missing feathers, all eating well and acting fine, I’ve checked over their coop and there is no sign of pest entry… plus we have a dog who likes to “ guard the coop”

thoughts? Will feathers come back?? I’ve only been a chicken mama for 2 years now so I’m still fairly new.
pics of my poor girl.

Attachments

• 2668F31F-44D0-4E93-890D-D81CD72F1338.jpeg
    2668F31F-44D0-4E93-890D-D81CD72F1338.jpeg
    899.6 KB · Views: 21
  • A54655D3-03AB-4E81-97DB-A73BC8B3D143.jpeg
    A54655D3-03AB-4E81-97DB-A73BC8B3D143.jpeg
    981.6 KB · Views: 7
Unfortunately no, I feel like it’s happening at night, because there is no squabbling during the day.
Could be.

Also be on the look out for rats, or mice, since they've been known to remove feathers from sleeping hens.
Interesting, will do, thank you. I’m doing more research she maybe molting too…. I have just never had a hen loose this much in a molt, but she did just get done being broody, and we have had a week of cold weather after intense heat this summer in Minnesota. We’re also seeing shorter hours and I’ve noticed all my hens have delayed laying a bit. So I’m hoping this is the cause and pray she’ll get more feathers by winter because they’re forecasting a cold one.

There's hard molts, soft molts, mini-molts, broody molts, all kinds! :) A protein boost would help them get through it; any feed that is 18-20% protein, like chick starter, all-flock, meatbird, etc, with calcium still on the side for those who need it. I always feed boiled eggs to my girls when they're molting, as I usually have way more than I need anyway.

Back
Top Bottom