Feather lover farms Hawaiian chickens. How are they? What are they?

If you do get junglefowl, you may want to get them from a different source than feather lover farms:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feather-lover-farm-scam.1423280/
The Hawaiian chcikens offered from FLF aren't junglefowl, they are a landrace from Hawaii. I was just wondering what their attributes were so I could plan. But they are the only source of this landrace tha I know of in the U.S. Thank you for the warning, but since they are the only source I'll risk it in the future.

The pictures of birds on the FLF web site do not look half bad actually. They are straight BBR decended from Filipino fighting chickens in the first half of the Twentieth Century. Some people want to call these junglefowl but that is a misnomer because there is no eclipse plummage and the leg and earlobe color may be off. A larger problem is that many feral flocks in Hawaii have introgression of more recent gamefowl and production breeds so they can no longer breed true to type. This puts the true BBR landrace under constant threat and there is no way to protect them. In Hawaii there are people who love wild chickens and people that hate them. But, nobody discriminates between any ole' wild chicken and what is, for the time being, a legitimate and established landrace.
The “junglefowl” sold by hatcheries are generally much closer to feral gamefowl mixes than actual junglefowl. However, they would still be a bit different than feral Hawaiian gamefowl mixes.

Last edited:
Buy from anyone but them.. look up real reviews about their service and alleged quality.. and don't regret your purchase! ;)
Thank you. I have seen reviews about them, the quality of their chicks and the services. But I feel that since FLF is the only source of this landrace I'll have to risk it in the future. Who knows maybe their services will improve by the time I turn 18.

The pictures of birds on the FLF web site do not look half bad actually. They are straight BBR decended from Filipino fighting chickens in the first half of the Twentieth Century. Some people want to call these junglefowl but that is a misnomer because there is no eclipse plummage and the leg and earlobe color may be off. A larger problem is that many feral flocks in Hawaii have introgression of more recent gamefowl and production breeds so they can no longer breed true to type. This puts the true BBR landrace under constant threat and there is no way to protect them. In Hawaii there are people who love wild chickens and people that hate them. But, nobody discriminates between any ole' wild chicken and what is, for the time being, a legitimate and established landrace.
Would it be possible to back-breed the landrace to its original type?

Wow, they sound like amazing birds. They are now definitely on my wishlist of breeds and landraces to get when I'm older. DO you have any other breeds to recommend? Also how many are in your area? Would it be possible in the future if you could send some to the mainland?
Do you have an incubator? I've never tried to send eggs to anyone YET but would be willing to collect and send to you.
I guess only a DNA test could tell the true story in each individual chicken but I must admit. They are consistent in looks and behavior for the most part over on Kauai with the exception of pockets of flocks. Not saying anything about breed one way or the other. They are definitely a mix. I will ask my aunty about the wild chickens as she is close to a century old and always been on this island. All islands are different with their populations forsure. Kauai does not have mongoose and that keeps our numbers up. Oahu was and is much more populated with humans and all that that curtails.

Do you have an incubator? I've never tried to send eggs to anyone YET but would be willing to collect and send to you.
I guess only a DNA test could tell the true story in each individual chicken but I must admit. They are consistent in looks and behavior for the most part over on Kauai with the exception of pockets of flocks. Not saying anything about breed one way or the other. They are definitely a mix. I will ask my aunty about the wild chickens as she is close to a century old and always been on this island. All islands are different with their populations forsure. Kauai does not have mongoose and that keeps our numbers up. Oahu was and is much more populated with humans and all that that curtails.
Thank you for the kind offer, but I don't have an incubator. I'm not even allowed to own chickens.

Last edited:
I've never tried to send eggs to anyone YET but would be willing to collect and send to you.
That is a kind offer! :wee

It's illegal to ship eggs or live poultry across state lines without proper permits.. just so as you know. Post office doesn't enforce laws (or check permits) per say and some folks still do it on the down low.

Back
Top Bottom