Feather picking

KatLue

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
Omaha, NE
Hello all. New here.
I have four 1-year old Australorp hens. I had one of my hens a couple weeks ago with a ripped comb injury, looks better, on the mend. From being pecked. But same hen, Jo, has been feather picked terribly over the last month. I have another thats almost as bad and the third has some as well. And head honcho, Flo, is immaculate. I have looked them over for lice and mites, nothing. My suspicion is Flo is doing this. I caught her about a month ago pulling feathers on another. I have tried pinless peepers, she ripped both pairs off with her feet and there was some blood from her doing that. Epic fail.
I have been free ranging more, about 3/4-1/2 the day. Jo, my feather picked socializes with girls while out. I see no aggressive behavior from other girls. Jo is not the bottom hen. She goes after a hen i have when that hen tries to peck me.
I have noticed feathers in poop, i think.
They are on a 16% layer feed w access to oyster shell. I free feed all day. Mealworms and kitchen scraps for treats.
I think I am at the point of chicken jail, but I am not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be great. I have a large dog crate in the wings ready.
Thank you.

Hello all. New here.
I have four 1-year old Australorp hens. I had one of my hens a couple weeks ago with a ripped comb injury, looks better, on the mend. From being pecked. But same hen, Jo, has been feather picked terribly over the last month. I have another thats almost as bad and the third has some as well. And head honcho, Flo, is immaculate. I have looked them over for lice and mites, nothing. My suspicion is Flo is doing this. I caught her about a month ago pulling feathers on another. I have tried pinless peepers, she ripped both pairs off with her feet and there was some blood from her doing that. Epic fail.
I have been free ranging more, about 3/4-1/2 the day. Jo, my feather picked socializes with girls while out. I see no aggressive behavior from other girls. Jo is not the bottom hen. She goes after a hen i have when that hen tries to peck me.
I have noticed feathers in poop, i think.
They are on a 16% layer feed w access to oyster shell. I free feed all day. Mealworms and kitchen scraps for treats.
I think I am at the point of chicken jail, but I am not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be great. I have a large dog crate in the wings ready.
Thank you.
We got aprons KIMG0206.jpg

Oof, she ripped off the peepers? That suggestion is out then.

You could try raising the level of protein by cutting out your other treats and adding things like cat food, canned unsalted fish, eggs, though at this point I'm guessing this is a behavioral thing with your head hen as opposed to lack of protein issue.

What, if anything is in their run or their free range area for them to do or interact with? Are there hiding spots for birds to get away from being picked on? Photos would help.

Oof, she ripped off the peepers? That suggestion is out then.

You could try raising the level of protein by cutting out your other treats and adding things like cat food, canned unsalted fish, eggs, though at this point I'm guessing this is a behavioral thing with your head hen as opposed to lack of protein issue.

What, if anything is in their run or their free range area for them to do or interact with? Are there hiding spots for birds to get away from being picked on? Photos would help.

Run is 10x10 square. Coop is 5x5. I have perches which they use. They are out a good portion of day. I have noticed feathers in the dust bath area which is by the house. I also notice them under roost bar in morning. Not a lot but a few. No one has any qualms when out and about and I have not caught anyone in the act lately. There were 0 issues this winter and they were cooped up October late thru mid February. No access outside run. I did attach a shot of poor Jo. Comb is healing nicely.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 9F783566-8F19-4795-8537-25628DD20FDD.jpeg
    9F783566-8F19-4795-8537-25628DD20FDD.jpeg
    930.2 KB · Views: 12
  • FAE9EFE2-1875-4C00-B482-EA3E2F2EE95A.jpeg
    FAE9EFE2-1875-4C00-B482-EA3E2F2EE95A.jpeg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 3E66E366-B669-4F7E-8475-8CD4AD2C0E30.jpeg
    3E66E366-B669-4F7E-8475-8CD4AD2C0E30.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 270F56E4-4D24-4ED2-956F-2CC83CDC58BC.jpeg
    270F56E4-4D24-4ED2-956F-2CC83CDC58BC.jpeg
    964 KB · Views: 10
My guess is the majority of picking is happening inside the run, and once they get out they're able to spread out and lessen the occurrences. Hopefully if they continue to get time outside the run, it'll give them time to heal up and maybe regrow some feathers.

Might want to try the protein thing as well and see if that helps at all, doesn't hurt to try.

Back
Top Bottom