feather picking ?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buckhunter, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    any suggestions to help stop feather picking ????

We have several hens with big bald spots now and it doesnt seem to be going away ............... I guess the feathers would grow back ?????? .................. if the picking stopped ?????????

2. swedishfish

swedishfish Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    I was wondering this too!
    I think I've seen things called peepers, that look like glasses with no clear part, so the birds can't see what they're pecking. It make it so they can't aim. I think....

3. sovia

sovia Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Buckhunter,

There are lots of good posts on the forum regarding this subject. You should definitely do a search and read them. I had this problem last fall. It can be VERY difficult to break. I ended up rehoming/culling a good portion of my flock because of it. Just a couple things off the top of my head - give only BOSS for treats/hang cabbages, etc. to give them something to do/freerange if at all possible. I tried hot pick, axle grease, vicks vapor rub, you name it. And, I had a huge coop/run. I live in a place with a ton of predators, but, I finally decided I had enough with the picking and threw the run door open one day. What a change.

4. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    well ......... I dont have to worry about the roo anymore ..........[​IMG]

My 11 month old german shepherd ate him today !!! [​IMG] ............. we've been letting them roam a lot lately to see if it helps

5. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
  7. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Pinless peepers worked like a charm. I had some serious picking. Most of my birds had bare butts and a few were getting bloody. I tried pine tar (recommended here) and Vicks (also recommended here). Neither worked very well. Pinless peepers did an amazing job. The picking stopped the second I put the peepers on. I left them on until they started to feather out again and then took them off. No problems at all. They've lost the urge to pick.

8. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    what are pinless peepers ????? how do they work and where do you get them????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: