feather picking ?????

Buckhunter

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
any suggestions to help stop feather picking ????

We have several hens with big bald spots now and it doesnt seem to be going away ............... I guess the feathers would grow back ?????? .................. if the picking stopped ?????????

I was wondering this too!
I think I've seen things called peepers, that look like glasses with no clear part, so the birds can't see what they're pecking. It make it so they can't aim. I think....

Buckhunter,

There are lots of good posts on the forum regarding this subject. You should definitely do a search and read them. I had this problem last fall. It can be VERY difficult to break. I ended up rehoming/culling a good portion of my flock because of it. Just a couple things off the top of my head - give only BOSS for treats/hang cabbages, etc. to give them something to do/freerange if at all possible. I tried hot pick, axle grease, vicks vapor rub, you name it. And, I had a huge coop/run. I live in a place with a ton of predators, but, I finally decided I had enough with the picking and threw the run door open one day. What a change.

well ......... I dont have to worry about the roo anymore ..........
big_smile.png

My 11 month old german shepherd ate him today !!!
sad.png
............. we've been letting them roam a lot lately to see if it helps

Pinless peepers worked like a charm. I had some serious picking. Most of my birds had bare butts and a few were getting bloody. I tried pine tar (recommended here) and Vicks (also recommended here). Neither worked very well. Pinless peepers did an amazing job. The picking stopped the second I put the peepers on. I left them on until they started to feather out again and then took them off. No problems at all. They've lost the urge to pick.

Back
Top Bottom