Feather Trouble?

brooder

Songster
Sep 21, 2017
Hi there. I have two feather related questions today. The more urgent one concerns my year old cayuga hen. I realized she had angel wing too late to correct, and have been managing it since. I realized today that she's missing the primary feathers that stuck out a bit on either side of her. WILL THEY GROW BACK? WILL SHE BE OK? Also, I have a Drake who's recently reached maturity. His feathers are all over the place, and I'm assuming he's molting. What should I do to help him out during this?
Any advice is appreciated.

Hi there. I have two feather related questions today. The more urgent one concerns my year old cayuga hen. I realized she had angel wing too late to correct, and have been managing it since. I realized today that she's missing the primary feathers that stuck out a bit on either side of her. WILL THEY GROW BACK? WILL SHE BE OK? Also, I have a Drake who's recently reached maturity. His feathers are all over the place, and I'm assuming he's molting. What should I do to help him out during this?
Any advice is appreciated.
Can you post some pictures of them? When molting, some people feed a feed that higher in protein. That's what I do when I have one with scruffy feathers.

Her missing feather will grow back, so don't worry about that. :D

Last edited:
I give mine a tad more protein during molt everyone does things different with their birds not one way is right. Mine get dried mealworms for extra protein and some dry dog food that is grain free as a treat along with their feed. It doesn’t hurt to help them along. My Muscovy have molted so late this year some still working on it and temps have dropped so helping them with extra protein I feel is a good idea. Of course this is just how I do with my own birds.

I give mine a tad more protein during molt everyone does things different with their birds not one way is right. Mine get dried mealworms for extra protein and some dry dog food that is grain free as a treat along with their feed. It doesn’t hurt to help them along. My Muscovy have molted so late this year some still working on it and temps have dropped so helping them with extra protein I feel is a good idea. Of course this is just how I do with my own birds.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Thanks so much for the tip. Will definitely add a bit of protein.

Back
Top Bottom