Feathered leg genetics question....

There are at least four genes for feather-legged. two for feathers on the shanks only, one of which causes crow wings as in Sultans, one for feathers on the shanks and toes, and one for long feathers. Most feather-legged birds have at least two of these. Some such as Cochin have three. This could be a mutation (a fifth gene for feather-legged) or could be a repressed gene that had been present, but because of the cros,s came to the forefront.
Oh! I did not know that, thanks!

Update...Sadly, this adorable chick didnt make it. We had a cockerel that was attacking chicks and this poor thing wasn't as lucky as the other one I managed to save.

However, shortly after this post, we had a broody Maran hatch chicks and a couple of them also have leg feathering. The only common denominator with the chick in the post and these maran cross chicks, is the Welsummer rooster we recently had to rehome. He was dad to the chick in the post and is grandad to these feathered leg chicks. Is it safe to assume that this trait most likely came from him? I didn't think Welsummers had feathered legs though 🤔

Update...Sadly, this adorable chick didnt make it. We had a cockerel that was attacking chicks and this poor thing wasn't as lucky as the other one I managed to save.

However, shortly after this post, we had a broody Maran hatch chicks and a couple of them also have leg feathering. The only common denominator with the chick in the post and these maran cross chicks, is the Welsummer rooster we recently had to rehome. He was dad to the chick in the post and is grandad to these feathered leg chicks. Is it safe to assume that this trait most likely came from him? I didn't think Welsummers had feathered legs though 🤔
Welsummers are clean legged.

Your marans don’t have feathered legs? And the rooster was definitely clean-legged?

There are at least four genes for feather-legged. two for feathers on the shanks only, one of which causes crow wings as in Sultans, one for feathers on the shanks and toes, and one for long feathers. Most feather-legged birds have at least two of these. Some such as Cochin have three. This could be a mutation (a fifth gene for feather-legged) or could be a repressed gene that had been present, but because of the cros,s came to the forefront.
Crow wings? Are you talking about Vulture Hocks?

Feather Legged Gene: Pti/Pti

Vulture Hocks: v/v

Your marans don’t have feathered legs? And the rooster was definitely clean-legged?
Are they supposed to? Lol Neither of our two marans have feathered legs. They were sold as Noir Marans, which I was told was a sex link, maybe that has something to do with it? Idk im still learning. Here's a current pic of momma maran and a pic of the Welsummer, the day he was rehomed.

Attachments

• 20210430_132337.jpg
    20210430_132337.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210726_184042.jpg
    20210726_184042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Are they supposed to? Lol Neither of our two marans have feathered legs. They were sold as Noir Marans, which I was told was a sex link, maybe that has something to do with it? Idk im still learning. Here's a current pic of momma maran and a pic of the Welsummer, the day he was rehomed.
Some marans have feathered legs and some don’t. This can result in marans with very sparsely feathered legs.

That’s odd that you keep getting feather-legged chicks. I’d assume if it was a spontaneous mutation or a recessive gene (which it shouldn’t be) that you would only get one chick with the trait.

Late but I have a black maran with clean legs, I hatched eggs off her with a br/rir sex link rooster and one of 3 hatched with a few feathers on his legs

Late but I have a black maran with clean legs, I hatched eggs off her with a br/rir sex link rooster and one of 3 hatched with a few feathers on his legs
How cool! I just adore those feathered legs. I'm thinking maybe that's what happened with our Marans hatch. We ended up with two that have lines of feathers down their legs. The pullet looks just like her Maran mom but with a line of black feathers down the sides of her legs. The cockerel looks just like his dad(blue/red)but with blue/gray feathers down the sides of his legs. The same Maran hen just hatched more chicks, yesterday, but I haven't gotten a good look at them yet to see if any are sporting leg feathers.

There are several genes that could possibly repress feather legs. I have Ohickis which are clean legged but do get an occasional sprig (small feathers on shaft). Ohickis are the product of a cross between Pekin (Cochin) and Onigadori (Sp?) with possibly Japanese bantam added to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom