Featherless Sunburned Chickens, not sure what to do...

cmdj2830

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012

Little bit of history...
We live in Southeastern Arizona. Just over a year ago, we started out with 10 (one day old) babies, 2 ended up being roosters, and 8 hens. The roosters started getting very agressive and posessive over the girls. We unfortunatly had to get rid of the most overbearing rooster. The girls calmed down and were fine for a while, but their feathers never did fill back in. We moved about 2 months ago, and they are in a temporary "roomy" coop with a good size run until we can get ours built. My girls however, are not looking well. Their backs are still featherless, and I fear some are sunburned. If/when their feathers look as if they are coming in (about 1/4") growth after a few days the their feathers/quills all seem to disappear as if they all went back under the skin. Some of their backs aren't burned and are smooth, but there are a couple that just pain me to look at them, they are dry, red, chapped and just looks like they hurt. My remaining rooster is also looking as if he is now molting but of course his back still has feathers. He is still the dominant, and mounting them often. We have tried bag balm, and corona ointment on the girls to try to soften their skin, but it hasn't helped at all. I purchased hen saddles for all of them, but they didn't adapt well, and they remove them. We are going to get shade cloth for the run, to give them some break from the direct sun since there is very little shade in the early mornings. I am desperate for any suggestions. I hate to have to get rid of my remaining rooster, but I fear this is going to have to happen so my girls can grow some feathers back.

Oh dear. I realize this post is months old, and that the original poster probably has resolved this issue by now.

So my advice probably won't be helpful to them!

But, I am posting in case it helps someone else out there that has this problem.

Believe it or not, chickens do not sunburn! When you or anyone else has chickens with naked areas, you might notice these areas getting very red. This is not sunburning, which is why no ointment or salves will help. This redness is the exposed skin reacting to the chicken's mood. It will always be somewhat redder than 'normal', under-the-feathers skin, but when a bird becomes very excited or agitated about something, do you notice that their face, comb, and wattles get much more intensely red? This happens to the skin as well, in many breeds, if the skin is exposed! Chickens communicate visually with one another.
I had this problem, where a rooster over-mated my girls and rubbed their backs bare. He got re-homed, but it took until they molted in the late autumn before their feathers grew back! During this time, I noticed with fascination that I could tell when my girls were MUCH more excited or agitated about things, because the exposed skin would get bright red. Treats always turned my girls red!

Anyhow, the disappearing blood feathers is a different issue. I can almost guarantee that it is the chickens doing it to one another. Now, in the Original Poster's situation, it's hard to know if the rooster was doing this with his feet accidentally when he was mating the hens, but in many situations it is one or more of the other hens doing this. Once a hen gets a 'taste' for blood feathers... which are, after all, filled with nutritious blood, they will actively chase the others for them. The only way to avoid this is to remove the bald hens, or to watch and see which hens are blood-feather eaters and remove them. Or, you can fashion soft saddles out of fleece or another non-fraying material. You want to use something that is soft, though, or the saddle itself can actually rub the new pinfeathers and make things worse.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Little bit of history...
We live in Southeastern Arizona. Just over a year ago, we started out with 10 (one day old) babies, 2 ended up being roosters, and 8 hens. The roosters started getting very agressive and posessive over the girls. We unfortunatly had to get rid of the most overbearing rooster. The girls calmed down and were fine for a while, but their feathers never did fill back in. We moved about 2 months ago, and they are in a temporary "roomy" coop with a good size run until we can get ours built. My girls however, are not looking well. Their backs are still featherless, and I fear some are sunburned. If/when their feathers look as if they are coming in (about 1/4") growth after a few days the their feathers/quills all seem to disappear as if they all went back under the skin. Some of their backs aren't burned and are smooth, but there are a couple that just pain me to look at them, they are dry, red, chapped and just looks like they hurt. My remaining rooster is also looking as if he is now molting but of course his back still has feathers. He is still the dominant, and mounting them often. We have tried bag balm, and corona ointment on the girls to try to soften their skin, but it hasn't helped at all. I purchased hen saddles for all of them, but they didn't adapt well, and they remove them. We are going to get shade cloth for the run, to give them some break from the direct sun since there is very little shade in the early mornings. I am desperate for any suggestions. I hate to have to get rid of my remaining rooster, but I fear this is going to have to happen so my girls can grow some feathers back.
Hello. Someone posted on here that chickens cannot get sunburn. This is not true. Chickens can absolutely get sunburned. Their only protection against sunburn is their feathers. Minus the feathers, they can get sunburns. Chickens have extremely thin and extremely sensitive skin.

The only creature on the planet, I know of that has built in sunscreen, is the hippopotamus. And even they can get a sunburn in the wrong circumstances.

The misinformation posted here about chickens not being capable of sunburn when they are missing their feathers is extremely dangerous. A Chicken with a bald spot is even more likely to sunburn than a human. Their skin is far more sensitive and is normally far more protected than ours is. They have no magical powers against the UV rays of the sun shine.

Care in peace to all.
Sage M.

Do the hens fight with each other ? They might be pecking each other. Goodluck &
welcome-byc.gif

I haven't noticed them fighting with each other, just the typical little squabble every once in a while. But I will keep an eye on them and watch for that. And thank you
frow.gif

Yes, it has been years since you posted your reply. 6 of my 7 one year old hens look like these girls, and yes, I agree, I think it is one hen picking and eating their feathers. She is a buff Orpington, the only one with full plumage. I have witnessed her pluck several lower back feathers while they dust bathe. Hate to get rid of her to a new home and have her do this to other hens. Can not eat her.
My one rooster does mount them all equally on a regular basis, but does not seem to cause any damage.
I used aprons and new growth appeared. I removed them and the feather eating started again and all new growth is gone. We applied a pinless peeper on her beak and my husband refused to leave it in place cause it bled slightly. He is too tender hearted.
Thinking of giving her to someone who maybe just lost their pet hen, and she would be alone with no feathers to eat, but then she might start eating her own. Ugh!

The previous posts helped. I have 3 Rhode Island Reds and one Wyandotte. The Reds all are missing feathers and I thought the Wyandotte was picking on them, but could never see that happening. I finally caught the girls pulling their own feathers! I didn't find any mites on them, but only one is friendly enough for me to pick her up without a big fuss. I whitewashed the coop and within a very short time saw feathers growing back.

It is very hot here right now--weeks of 100 degree temps and I was getting worried that they were getting sunburned. But after reading the post about the birds' skin turning red from excitement, it clicked. That is certainly what is happening. They expect treats when they see me and their skin does get redder.

Can't figure out why the Wyandotte never lost any feathers.
Thanks for the posts.

The previous posts helped. I have 3 Rhode Island Reds and one Wyandotte. The Reds all are missing feathers and I thought the Wyandotte was picking on them, but could never see that happening. I finally caught the girls pulling their own feathers! I didn't find any mites on them, but only one is friendly enough for me to pick her up without a big fuss. I whitewashed the coop and within a very short time saw feathers growing back.

It is very hot here right now--weeks of 100 degree temps and I was getting worried that they were getting sunburned. But after reading the post about the birds' skin turning red from excitement, it clicked. That is certainly what is happening. They expect treats when they see me and their skin does get redder.

Can't figure out why the Wyandotte never lost any feathers.
Thanks for the posts.

This is really helpful, thank you! We have a relatively good buff Orpington rooster who has defeathered a few of the hens, I think because he is so big, he needs to hold on. Glad to know I don’t have to worry about sunscreen. Like the last person who posted, the laced Wyandotte is fine, no lost feathers. She is a bit smaller, I’m think the rooster does not need to hold on so tightly. Just a theory!

Back
Top Bottom