Feathers flying

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
As the new pecking order starts with introducing new pullets.. is it to be expected that feathers may get pecked out? One of my 17 week old pullets got out briefly and my bottom of the original pecking order hen charged her and plucked out some feathers šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøā€¦I am too old for this kind of violent drama šŸ˜‚..they have all been sharing a common fence line for five weeks now.. plan on opening the gate this weekend! My existing flock are Silver laced Wyandottes, I feel like they are prone to be more aggressive?

Hi and welcome! My ā€œ bottom of orderā€ duck did the same when I added new birds. They think, ā€œnowā€™s my chance!ā€ And they give it their best shot ā€¦.
I would just watch for blood like @sourland said and let them do their thing . The little fights make entertaining videosā€¦if youā€™re so inclined!

As long as blood is not being drawn and birds have ready access to feed and water, let them work things out. Chicken society can be a lot like 'mean girls in high school'.
It is so difficult to watch..šŸ˜©
Hello and Welcome to BYC! Glad that you joined our community.
Yes, they will work it out in time. Give them places to hide to avoid a fight from bullies. It's all in a day's happenings at the coops. Hopefully you have a large run for them to be able to move out of the big girls way.

Back
Top Bottom