Feathers on Buff Orpingtons Legs?

Here is Blondie side view.

DSC_0019.jpg

Folks say it ain't so....I think I have one roo for every breed I got.
th.gif

Side view does not look rooster but that first pic has some serious looking saddle feathers ...lol

Yup that is a pullet pictured above, that comb should be a bit red by now..No pink on the legs in this pic above that i can see...dont see the saddle feathers in this pic above..

Charlie

Last edited:
I just hatched some blue Orps. that I got from a hatchery and was told they were Purebred but some of them have feathers on their legs too.

I just hatched some blue Orps. that I got from a hatchery and was told they were Purebred but some of them have feathers on their legs too.

I've seen a lot of orps that have stubble. Probably from crossing to cochin at some point in the bloodline, even in breeder lines that do very well at shows. Is it just feather stubbles or are they big feathers? If it is stubbles I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My buff Orpington also has quite a bit of feathers on her legs. I don't mind it because she's still cute as hell.
But still... I didn't know buff Orpingtons shouldn't have them.

Orpingtons have a few stray feathers down their shanks sometimes. Its a throwback trait from the original breeds used to breed them. Its rare but does happen from time to time, even in show stock. Its a trait that should be bred out of them if you are breeding. As in do not use these individuals for breeding purposes. Also a disqualification in showing as previously stated. Also happens in the Sussex breed as well.

Back
Top Bottom