February 2017 Hatch-a-long

I set 26 eggs in my Brinsea tonight!!! My friend gave me 6 eggs to hatch to see what would come out and that got it started, one didn't make it.

Annie is a very protective mom and thinks when they are out they need their butts cleaned.

From my own Australorp flock... i think 8 are developing that i can see!

All right. I'm in for February too. I promise I'm not a hatchalong stalker. I probably qualify more as an addict, which is better...right???
Just set 14 Bresse for some friends, 16 Heritage BR to add some new blood to the flock, and 11 from my own backyard (9 BCM/BRx and 2 potential OEs from a nest I found under the deck with no idea how old the eggs are (probably not that old because there were only three - I cracked one open to see if it was fertile) and I thought, "Well, could be interesting!" So I threw them in too.) I was really hoping for some CCL from a local breeder, but alas, I shall probably have to wait on those (unless he calls today, then I might be able to still put them in).
1f602.png

Overeager, to get eggs set, temp was fairly steady for first 20+ hours, w wireless thermometer, previous mercury thermometer Not with rest of equipment. Reading of 102 when I came n from chores made adjustment. Was fine, steady at 101 afternoon into the night, this morning thermometer reads 158 Not what anyone wants to see first thing
1f636.png
. Lid off Bator, adjusting temp, No difference in reading. Fluctuating 158 to 78 now 90 and slowly climbing. I think back to my Jersey Giant hen, summertime hatch. How must have been varying temps under her and how she left them to walk, eat, get a drink. They were OK, so maybe
1f615.png
1f613.png

Finally took out batteries and replaced, I got the temp down now trying to get it to proper temp again, so far stuck at 90 with humidity rising.
So disappointed, candling showed nothing, maybe early enough in process didn't damage too badly.
1f613.png
. Hoping beyond hope

Overeager, to get eggs set, temp was fairly steady for first 20+ hours, w wireless thermometer, previous mercury thermometer Not with rest of equipment. Reading of 102 when I came n from chores made adjustment. Was fine, steady at 101 afternoon into the night, this morning thermometer reads 158 Not what anyone wants to see first thing
1f636.png
. Lid off Bator, adjusting temp, No difference in reading. Fluctuating 158 to 78 now 90 and slowly climbing. I think back to my Jersey Giant hen, summertime hatch. How must have been varying temps under her and how she left them to walk, eat, get a drink. They were OK, so maybe
1f615.png
1f613.png

Finally took out batteries and replaced, I got the temp down now trying to get it to proper temp again, so far stuck at 90 with humidity rising.
So disappointed, candling showed nothing, maybe early enough in process didn't damage too badly.
1f613.png
. Hoping beyond hope

Fingers crossed for you.

I'm joining in! I am setting tonight 10 mixed Orpington eggs, some black lavender splits and some lavender, and 8 black lavender split Ameraucanas. The rest will be 6 white crested blue/ black polish. Lol all my chickens are in grey scale! We love our Grey fluffy butts and fuzzy heads! Anybody else hatching Orpingtons? I'm looking for blue splash and chocolate!

Back
Top Bottom