February 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I had bad air cells with my last lot too. Had two hatch out of 20 but one didn’t make it.
Were they detached? Saddled? Not sure what other options there are... my own non-shipped eggs im sure will develop so regardless, I will have something to look forward to. But for my breeding plans I really need at least some of the saddled ones to hatch. Id even take roosters :oops:

Well, looks like I will have staggered hatches again! I do not like storing eggs more than 7 days before setting, though I have gone as longs 2 weeks. I also found two Silkie eggs of unknown age in the refrigerator mixed in with the kitchen eggs, so I am going to throw them in too, just to see if they hatch. I think they are at least 2 weeks old, if not more...
So far I have 14 eggs due to hatch in February, various dates. (I have 16 currently due to hatch in late January). I am still collecting and there is room for more!🥰
Really hoping to get some more blue chicks this time, only one was blue last go round.

Were they detached? Saddled? Not sure what other options there are... my own non-shipped eggs im sure will develop so regardless, I will have something to look forward to. But for my breeding plans I really need at least some of the saddled ones to hatch. Id even take roosters :oops:
A mixture of both sadly! This lot definitely fared a lot better it seems than my last lot.

Day 9/10 candling just happened. So my mille fleur Pekin Bantam eggs were a flop. As some may remember, I had four cracked in that lot so wasn't holding out high hopes. Only 2 out of 8 developing, the rest never even started.

3/6 of my Araucana eggs developing, including the patched up egg.
4/6 Polish
8/12 for the mixed coloured Silkies (quite a few saddled air cells there, so have to watch that)
13/14 for the buff Silkies! Funnily enough, they took the longest time to ship and came from the furthest down the South Island, but was looking mint. Air cells look fine and everything.

I'll try put a video up in a bit to share with you all :)

Had to take a few out (although I did swap some out on day 3) now here’s the current count based on the original shipment:

Greenfire Eggs:
1/2 Svarthona (Swedish Black Hen)
4/4 55 Flowery
3/3 Isbar
3/3 Hedemora

eBay Seller:
1/6 Ayam Cemani x Easter Egger

My farm:
7/11 Egyptian Fayoumi x Green Queen (roo)

Some of these may be MF d’Uccle x Green Queen Bantam… the Millies started laying in the nest the fayoumis had and the eggs are damn near identical.

I’m especially curious about the fayoumi eggs. The rooster is a hatchery hybrid but I’m pretty sure he is silkie (5 toes, black skin, mulberry comb, black iridescent feathers with some leakage), EE Bantam (beard and supposedly colored egg genes) and maybe d’uccle (beard and slightly feathered feet) or bantam Cochin. He’s definitely not the rooster I would choose for my breed project BUT he’s very calm and wimpy (despite growing up with the fayoumis) so I’m hoping his chicks will calm down the fayoumi blood.

7CDA45B1-8303-4189-99F1-1C0BFBE7E201.jpeg

ALSO since we have an abundance of duck eggs I decided to see if my ducks wanted to go broody so I stopped collecting eggs and this morning on of my welsh harlequin girls was sitting on one of the nests and did not want to get up lol. Hatch date for those would be around Feb 19! It’ll be her first brood (none of them have hatched out before) so I know I may have to remove them and I’m prepared for that but so excited! (Edited to add picture)
66C42E3A-D69E-4079-9FB9-6F2D94CABCDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Had to take a few out (although I did swap some out on day 3) now here’s the current count based on the original shipment:

Greenfire Eggs:
1/2 Svarthona (Swedish Black Hen)
4/4 55 Flowery
3/3 Isbar
3/3 Hedemora

eBay Seller:
1/6 Ayam Cemani x Easter Egger

My farm:
7/11 Egyptian Fayoumi x Green Queen (roo)

Some of these may be MF d’Uccle x Green Queen Bantam… the Millies started laying in the nest the fayoumis had and the eggs are damn near identical.

I’m especially curious about the fayoumi eggs. The rooster is a hatchery hybrid but I’m pretty sure he is silkie (5 toes, black skin, mulberry comb, black iridescent feathers with some leakage), EE Bantam (beard and supposedly colored egg genes) and maybe d’uccle (beard and slightly feathered feet) or bantam Cochin. He’s definitely not the rooster I would choose for my breed project BUT he’s very calm and wimpy (despite growing up with the fayoumis) so I’m hoping his chicks will calm down the fayoumi blood.

View attachment 2968597

ALSO since we have an abundance of duck eggs I decided to see if my ducks wanted to go broody so I stopped collecting eggs and this morning on of my welsh harlequin girls was sitting on one of the nests and did not want to get up lol. Hatch date for those would be around Feb 19! It’ll be her first brood (none of them have hatched out before) so I know I may have to remove them and I’m prepared for that but so excited! (Edited to add picture)
View attachment 2968599
Oooh. That duck looks comfy!

I set 5 Easter Egger eggs today. The sire is an Ameraucana/Olive Egger cross, and the dam is an Ameraucana/Barred Rock cross. It would have been six eggs, but I dropped one while I was preparing the incubator. :he

This year has not been kind to me so far, with a disastrous (1/9) New Year’s hatch and a not-much-better than that (2/6) hatch this weekend. Fingers crossed that Valentine’s Day is luckier for me!

Back
Top Bottom