February Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I might be able to join in again this month, but this time it will be silkies if I get them in time for this hatch-a-long. I do have a question though for any of you that have hatched silkies before. I use a still-air styrofoam incubator. Do I keep the temp and humidity the same way that I do for my larger chicken egg's? I would only be hatching the silkies for this go around, not my larger ones.

Ok, someone told me that the silkie egg's like higher humidity (85%) during lock-down than my regular chicken egg's do at 60%.

I'm late to the party, but I've got 2 sets of eggs in the incubator! One set of Ameraucanas due Valentines day, and a set of silkies due 2/20.

The poor silkie eggs got delayed in shipping due to the polar vortex so not entirely sure if they're ok but figured might as well pop them in and see.

I candled the Ameraucanas just now (also shipped eggs, this is day 10). They seem to be developing -however it's hard to candle those suckers and some embryos seems to "slosh" around while others stay put. I'm not sure what this means, if anything?

I hatched shipped eggs 10ish years ago, so pretty much have forgotten anything I've learned since I didn't keep notes (oops!). Fingers crossed!

I'm late to the party, but I've got 2 sets of eggs in the incubator! One set of Ameraucanas due Valentines day, and a set of silkies due 2/20.

The poor silkie eggs got delayed in shipping due to the polar vortex so not entirely sure if they're ok but figured might as well pop them in and see.

I candled the Ameraucanas just now (also shipped eggs, this is day 10). They seem to be developing -however it's hard to candle those suckers and some embryos seems to "slosh" around while others stay put. I'm not sure what this means, if anything?

I hatched shipped eggs 10ish years ago, so pretty much have forgotten anything I've learned since I didn't keep notes (oops!). Fingers crossed!

If they are moving around, but you are holding the egg steady while candling, it's just a live embroil in there.

If they are moving around, but you are holding the egg steady while candling, it's just a live embroil in there.
They're moving around because I'm moving the egg around... and I'm not even moving the eggs all that much it just seems like some are slipping and sliding around inside

I don't see any independent movement from inside either. Not sure if it's because the shell is too dark/thick and my light isn't strong enough or what.

Last edited:
First February hatches for me chick 1 last night, must be getting closer to getting settings right because this one actually hatched on due date. 2nd chick hatched this morning. 2 eggs remaining in that batch :fl for them. Got a video of the 2nd chick hatching but can't seem to post it :hmm

So I am joining in. Last night we set 52 eggs in two different incubators (in the spare bedroom). We set 40 americauna eggs and 12 Bielefelder cross that are set to hatch on the 24th of this month. We know that the Bielefelder cross ones are good to go but we are testing the americauna to check for rooster "productivity". Crossing my fingers.

On day 11 for all of mine with exception to the shipped eggs-of which only 3 are developing. And they're the "mystery" eggs, not the ones I REALLY wanted. Oh well.
Bright side, my hovabator 2370 came today so I can split my lockdown up or use it as a hatcher. Not sure what I'll do yet. Trying to wait patiently :rolleyes:

also ordered 4 Bielefelders from Thunder Creek Farm this morning because chicken math :confused:

Had 7 shipped eggs from down south, all developed, went through several hours of power outage where our temps were -28*F (house temp dropped to 45) for half a day, but still had peepers this morning. 6 out and fluffing up, one egg shows no pip (candled developed but no movement seen following the power outage). Not too shabby at all, given the struggles. :)

Got a mixed bag of breeds in the other incubator due to pip in a couple days. Hope I get some good numbers there, too! Eggs in there include some Ayam cemani, birchen and black copper marans, silver compine, olive egger, and others.

Attachments

• 20190205_184717.jpg
    20190205_184717.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom