February Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I always say that the older I get, the faster time goes. Well I might have found the solution to make days go slower! Just need to wait for eggs to hatch!

I have some EEs due to hatch come Monday. I have learned that certain sorting centers are egg killers. Seriously, if the eggs go through certain mail centers I end up with broken or scrambled eggs.

Lav EE Chicks.jpg
First hatch photos - 6 cute little fuzzle bottoms.

Second hatch due today, not seeing any pips and candling development looks behind. :barnie I don't think this hatch faired as well through the frigid power outage, or at least got set back more than the eggs in the smaller incubator. Time will tell. :pop

So I walked in the house last night to s cute fluffy little ee looking out of the bator......and 2 more hatched overnight.....I didn't expect any till late today...hmmm 5 more turkeys and 9 more chickens to go for this hatch

View attachment 1667862 First hatch photos - 6 cute little fuzzle bottoms.

Second hatch due today, not seeing any pips and candling development looks behind. :barnie I don't think this hatch faired as well through the frigid power outage, or at least got set back more than the eggs in the smaller incubator. Time will tell. :pop
Well, have got 4 pips today of the 11 that developed. They are late, but the power outage certainly contributed to that, I am sure. 1 ayam cemani, 1 olive egger, 1 birchen Marans, 1 black copper Marans. Hoping for more, especially the other cemani eggs and the legbar. :pop

I have some EEs due to hatch come Monday. I have learned that certain sorting centers are egg killers. Seriously, if the eggs go through certain mail centers I end up with broken or scrambled eggs.

I’d believe it! Used to take a commuter train that went behind a UPS sorting center and they were spinning and chucking boxes into the huge sorting bins, no attention paid to fragile stickers or tossing large boxes ontop of small ones. - it’s any wonder how anything survives that! I’m sure USPS isn’t any different.

However I did hear USPS has a special handling fee & label for fragile packages. It’s $10.95 on top of regular postage. Here it is: https://store.usps.com/store/produc...cial-handling-fragile---label-875-P_LABEL_875

However I did hear USPS has a special handling fee & label for fragile packages. It’s $10.95 on top of regular postage. Here it is: https://store.usps.com/store/produc...cial-handling-fragile---label-875-P_LABEL_875

I had the Post Master at the one place actually give me the insurance money because she swore all the eggs had to be busted. The box was smashed like they played soccer with it.
Now here in KY I have only gotten 1 damaged box and that was because of a sorting center machine. Machine Jammed and my box was crushed by the package behind it.

So I walked in the house last night to s cute fluffy little ee looking out of the bator......and 2 more hatched overnight.....I didn't expect any till late today...hmmm 5 more turkeys and 9 more chickens to go for this hatch
That is the fun part coming in to check on your incubator and seeing little ones looking back at you. Its like OMG your early.

I think this is "zipping"? He is sure peeping away!

BBS Australorp.

I was not able to do much candling. I can't see into the brown or the blue/green eggs at all. I did see a couple of white eggs that I probably should have pulled. How do you guys pull out the egg turners and get the eggs back into the incubator/hatcher (while candling) w/o causing issues? It seemed to take forever just to transfer the eggs to the baskets I bought. I DID forget to line them with the paper towels I'd planned on lining them with. Going to check on them one more time, then I have to go to bed... Working an 11 hour, possible 12 hours tomorrow.

20190210_234924.jpg

I think this is "zipping"? He is sure peeping away!

BBS Australorp.

I was not able to do much candling. I can't see into the brown or the blue/green eggs at all. I did see a couple of white eggs that I probably should have pulled. How do you guys pull out the egg turners and get the eggs back into the incubator/hatcher (while candling) w/o causing issues? It seemed to take forever just to transfer the eggs to the baskets I bought. I DID forget to line them with the paper towels I'd planned on lining them with. Going to check on them one more time, then I have to go to bed... Working an 11 hour, possible 12 hours tomorrow.

View attachment 1669968
Very excited for you, I love seeing them zipping such a relief.
I only take out 1 egg at a time to candle but for lockdown the first batch I did in an auto with trays was a nightmare because I couldn't get the trays out so before the next batch I bought a second incubator for lockdown and hatching.
Can't wait to see pictures of your little zipper when he/she is out :caf

Back
Top Bottom