February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Hope everyone is well. I'm on the last 2 days of incubation I hope as I went and did something a bit rushed. I have already got the next lot of eggs and they have been waiting for 5 days already and I need the incubator. I erally should have given myself some wriggle room as I haven't got any pips yet, I'm egging them on to hatch already. I realy don't want to leave the next eggs in storage longer than 7 days
Good luck with the hatch!
This is good argument for having a second incubator. šŸ˜Š

What are your silkies crossed with?šŸ˜Š
Well itā€™s hard to say šŸ˜‚ The lady I buy my barnyard mix eggs from has 6 roosters and around 40+ hens of all different breeds. She has two silkie roosters so technically I guess one of them could have been a pure silkie (the one with the more puffy head looked pure). Her other four roosters are Lavender Orphington, Dominique, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex. I was very impressed with all of the colors that came out of the eggs. I loaded my incubator back up with some shipped eggs and those same barnyard eggs to keep for myself! šŸ˜‚

Well itā€™s hard to say šŸ˜‚ The lady I buy my barnyard mix eggs from has 6 roosters and around 40+ hens of all different breeds. She has two silkie roosters so technically I guess one of them could have been a pure silkie (the one with the more puffy head looked pure). Her other four roosters are Lavender Orphington, Dominique, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex. I was very impressed with all of the colors that came out of the eggs. I loaded my incubator back up with some shipped eggs and those same barnyard eggs to keep for myself! šŸ˜‚
Once you start, hard to stop!šŸ¤£
Guess youā€™ll know when they feather out! I had some Silkie crosses in December from my own flock, Silkie/Ameraucana and Silkie/Olive egger that all came out really nice. Your little gray one looks just like the Silkie/Ameraucana as a chick. I have one more of those in my incubator this time around!šŸ˜Š

Once you start, hard to stop!šŸ¤£
Guess youā€™ll know when they feather out! I had some Silkie crosses in December from my own flock, Silkie/Ameraucana and Silkie/Olive egger that all came out really nice. Your little gray one looks just like the Silkie/Ameraucana as a chick. I have one more of those in my incubator this time around!šŸ˜Š
I have a feeling this incubator will be running for a long time. I just have to tell myself I canā€™t keep all of them hahaha! Oh I bet Silkie/Ameraucana turned out really good!

I have a feeling this incubator will be running for a long time. I just have to tell myself I canā€™t keep all of them hahaha! Oh I bet Silkie/Ameraucana turned out really good!
Super cute chicks. Really hard not to keep them! All came out light grey, white silkie roo/Splash ameraucana hen.
Will be blue egg layers. Sold them all from the last hatch, hope to keep this one and hoping for a pullet! šŸ˜Š

I have one pina pinta in my incubator.

As far as the candle, I candled before setting. Then on day 5. The ones developing I put on one side of the incubator, the ones not sure about but don't give up on, I set on the other side of the incubator, then on day 7, I only candle the ones I questioned. Then I candled on day 10, just so I can feel good about waiting till day 18 to candle the last.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom