February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Gah! I just set 7 eggs last night in my Brinsea Mini Advance II. They're 6 EE's and one of my own hen's.

IMG_9658.jpg

Unfortunately I got a low room temperature warning last night, but I heated up the house a bit and as they were just starting out I think all should be fine (it seems that the temperature inside the incubator was maintained). I usually hatch them in our house with the wood stove, but this time I'm hatching them down at my place in the city, so it's a new learning curve! Thankfully they were all free eggs, so if something happens it won't be the end of the world. Have to test it for the season before I set any expensive hatching eggs ;)

I’ve got a couple of eggs due the 6th and the 13th so I’ll join in too. :) from my own birds, all from my Icelandic cockerel over the Hedemora pullet. I’m super excited to see what these chicks look like.

I’m using a janoel 12 incubator, although I’m hoping to get an NR360 so I don’t have to babysit the incubator so much. Lol. I’ve had lots of success with this little thing but it’s still a lot more hands on than I prefer.

Hovabator, not sure what brand. In previous hatches I used one similar to it, but this is a first for the particular incubator.

You?

Oh nice, I remember always wanting to get a hovabator but never had the chance. I was using little giant many years ago and never liked it. I tried some homemade incubators but still not what I wanted so I ended up buying an incuview incubator. I will be using that one for this time around. Have had 3 successful hatches with it! I will be purchasing the harris farm one since I see everybody is using it and recommends it!

Back
Top Bottom