February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
For those (most of you 😅) that have the nurture right incubator... y'all lesve the little tab for the humidity open or closed? If its closed, how does it get ventilation? And last question, do you think you need to put a towel on the bottom to wrap around for insulation? Thank you

Well, it's looking like I have one due to hatch 2.1, and one due to hatch 2.5. Nothing else has been fertile, so things aren't looking the best for the fertility of my big splash boy. On the bright side, I was able to collect my juvenile splash cockerel for AI for the first time yesterday! I'm inseminating a different girl every day, as well as him living with the girls, so I may have some late February hatches after all!

For those (most of you 😅) that have the nurture right incubator... y'all lesve the little tab for the humidity open or closed? If its closed, how does it get ventilation? And last question, do you think you need to put a towel on the bottom to wrap around for insulation? Thank you
The Nurture Right's have holes in the base to let fresh air in (look in the creases outside the water wells), so I would definitely not wrap the base with a towel. On a particularly chilly stretch of days I have loosely wrapped around the "glass", but left the control panel and base uncovered.

The Nurture Right's have holes in the base to let fresh air in (look in the creases outside the water wells), so I would definitely not wrap the base with a towel. On a particularly chilly stretch of days I have loosely wrapped around the "glass", but left the control panel and base uncovered.

Thank you

What incubators are y'all using?
I have a Hovabator 1602n with fan and auto turner. I love hatching in it, the temp is so steady. I’ve also done coturnix quail in it. The only thing that I don’t like about it is the humidity is a bit finicky at lockdown. I’ve contemplated going to the 360, but the egg capacity is what is holding me back. I’ve only done 3 hatches over 22 eggs, but a girl has got to keep her options open😂

Day 8, and all but 2 look good. One looks like it’s on it’s way out with the start of a ring, and the other looks clear. 13 left!

I leave the vent all the way open to maintain 47-48% humidity. There is a thread on here where many using the incubator suggested humidity being lower than the 50% the instructions suggested, around 45%. I don’t wrap a towel around mine but it’s also in an upstairs room that is slightly warmer.

graye.PNG

I am going to set some of my eggs too since I have seen roosters surfing hens today.

Back
Top Bottom