February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I raised a dove that we found that was about two days old, they are a lot of work! Yes of course pigeons are welcome!😊
They sure are. thankfully I have raised a few natives for release so I got the older ones eating great but I have yet to raise one this young. since they are Rock Pigeons I can't legally release them so they will go on to live in lofts

The early hatcher hasn't hatched yet its's been 10 yours without a zip, should I be concerned? Looks like he is panting inside the egg
Can you see the beak? Is it clicking? Read up on intervening if you need to, but most people wait until 24+ hour from pip before stepping in. The chick during this time is usually resting up and absorbing the yolk before zipping. 😊

The one of four that was making movement on day 18. And afterward, but it quit somewhere on the last day or two. I opened the shell up and took a look at everything. Near fully developed. There is a length of coagulated blood on one of the legs. It looks like it maybe tried to pip and ruptured a vein internally and bled. There is nearly nothing of the yolk left, but there is plenty of clear fluid surrounding the chick along with the blood. I candled the 3 other eggs left and see no signs of life in them either. no movement or sounds.

should I give them another day? That’s two candles in a row with no signs of life. Even with lightly tapping on the eggs with screw driver. Nothing.
I’m inclined to open the rest up. And see what’s what.

The one of four that was making movement on day 18. And afterward, but it quit somewhere on the last day or two. I opened the shell up and took a look at everything. Near fully developed. There is a length of coagulated blood on one of the legs. It looks like it maybe tried to pip and ruptured a vein internally and bled. There is nearly nothing of the yolk left, but there is plenty of clear fluid surrounding the chick along with the blood. I candled the 3 other eggs left and see no signs of life in them either. no movement or sounds.

should I give them another day? That’s two candles in a row with no signs of life. Even with lightly tapping on the eggs with screw driver. Nothing.
I’m inclined to open the rest up. And see what’s what.
I wait until day 24 if there are no signs of life whatsover, 25 if I am in doubt.

1 of my CL was sticky mostly on his back, I washed it again, and it just pasted the fuzzy to his back like gorilla glue.
View attachment 2538016
I was afraid the other chicks would peck him because you could see pink skin through the feathers. I took black halloween lipstick and put it on his back. They left him alone.
View attachment 2538025

Below is some other chick pics at one day old...(there is a toy crow which I will remove, it looks like a dead bird. but don't worry!)View attachment 2538029
View attachment 2538030
View attachment 2538032
They like standing on it.
Below are the eggs they hatched from...
View attachment 2538046

lol the toy crow😂

Love to see all the cute chicks! Hope everyone’s hatches continue to go well.

Sadly my wrong end pip chick has died. It seemed fine for the first few days (other than the lump on its head) but it kept getting weaker and weaker. It must have had some kind of internal problem.

Fortunately the other 11 are doing great! Some of them are going to a new home today but we’ll be keeping 5.

Love to see all the cute chicks! Hope everyone’s hatches continue to go well.

Sadly my wrong end pip chick has died. It seemed fine for the first few days (other than the lump on its head) but it kept getting weaker and weaker. It must have had some kind of internal problem.

Fortunately the other 11 are doing great! Some of them are going to a new home today but we’ll be keeping 5.
Sorry to read about your little chick.🙂
Sounds like your overall hatch was successful though. Always makes me happy to see them off to their new homes. 😊

Back
Top Bottom