February Hatch-A-Long

Is February too early for a hatch?

• Yeah, I'm going to wait until spring!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • My chickens haven't started laying yet!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No way! Hatching year-round is the way to go!

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The earlier the better!

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm going to summon spring with some early chicks!

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Already have eggs in the incubator!

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters
Pics
Well it's day 25 on my american bresse that where shipped. no pips so I am giving up on them. On day 5 for the american bresse that I went to picked up, but I don't do well with hand turning eggs. The air cells look great, I just hope that I didn't mess up with the hand turning to bad. I plan on candleing all 14 eggs on day 7.
So sorry to read this. 🙁
Unfortunately so common in shipped eggs. Fingers crossed for the others! 😊

Day 21 on my bantam hatch and almost everyone is out! I have 3 left in the incubator.. a serama that’s a couple days behind, a serama that I just checked and is still moving, and a shipped egg that doesn’t seem to be doing anything.
Yesterday was a super busy day! I had chickies hatching pretty much all day. From the 15 egg (11 made it to lockdown) unknown bantam assortment I got: 2 polish, 4 mottled Cochin, 2 Millie fleur d’uccles, and 2 EE. The last is still in the incubator but I don’t have a lot of hope. I’m super impressed with this shipped egg hatch though, I never thought I would have this luck (which is why I got 14 eggs + sent an extra!) So far out of my 5 serama eggs that went into lockdown 2 hatched and 2 are still on their way. One pipped last night and looks like it tried to zip but died :( Unfortunately the membrane was pretty dry, probably because I didn’t get up throughout the night to check on it.
Not sure if my broodys chick hatched yet.. I’m too scared of her 🙈 if none of hers hatch I’ll give her some chicks
B41E085D-3D70-40D5-961B-CF8D461593BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Well hatch day has come and gone and still nothing. The one that was zipping never finished, and the others never piped. What am I supposed to do now?
Is the one that was zipping making any sounds or movement? Did you make any attempts to intervene after 24 hours?🙂
Can you candle the other eggs and see if they have internally pipped? You can do this quickly, even at lockdown. You can throw a damp warm papertowel or similar in the incubator when you open it to help quickly correct any humidity loss that occurs.

Last edited:
Part 2 of my 3 part staggered hatch is on! I have an external pip!! :wee The other egg is peeping, too, so it's not too far behind! EDIT: second egg has now externally pipped, too!!

1614004517989.png

Lone peep-peep won't be alone much longer now! :celebrate

bird in the hand.jpg

Part 3 still has a ways to go, but the three developing eggs were still looking good last time I checked :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom