February/March 2017 Hatch-a-long

Now i have 21 hatched and i can see one more pipping, lowered the temp to 99.5 from 100 and the humidity was 25 to 40 instead of 40 to 50, tried dry incubation and it seemed to work for me. 8 eggs left to go.

Im so tired but not giving up on these babies!! One is a little weaker but its getting stronger by the hour
1f423.png

I started another 37 on Thursday as a kind of emergency set.I have a friend who was saving eggs from his established stock, then he got a call from his son who was clearing a brush pile behind some apartments when he found a nest of 11 small white chicken eggs. He said he had seen a black hen and rooster earlier hanging around, but didn't know where the had went. So he brought the eggs home to his dad. I candled them and they all looked clear, no blood lines or dark spots. Since my incubator was already set up waiting for his eggs, we just started early with 26 of his and the 11 field eggs. Will do the first candle next Thursday and hope for the best.

I went on lock down on Monday and so far I have 3 pips as of this morning. The 11 found eggs never developed, but it was worth a try.

Last edited:
Out of the ten eggs that made it to lockdown, 9 of them hatched. One never pipped internally and died. Of course that was my only Silver Laced Orpington egg in the batch.
My next batch is in lockdown and includes 13 eggs. The shells are so dark on 7 of them that I can't see if they are viable. They are all Silver Spitzhauben eggs and Silver Spitzhauben coss eggs. It's the crosses that I can't see into to check viability. These are all shipped eggs and they are on day 19 today :)

Im so tired but not giving up on these babies!! One is a little weaker but its getting stronger by the hour
1f423.png

I make up a concoction for the weak ones. One gel capsule of vitamin e squirted out, mixed with one crushed selenium pill, and a tablespoon of pedialyte (or any electrolyte). I give them a few drops every few hours. Seems to help.

Well both my two quail chicks are doing great now after I put a pinch of vitamin powder in their water. Both are running around the brooder and get excited when I come to say hello. If it wasn't for this site I don't think they would of made it
1f618.png

Back
Top Bottom