Febuary hatch a long

I'm 70............
big_smile.png
.same message.I just love doing this..........and grateful that I have the time now to devote to this..........

How True! Raising Chickens is the love of my life!

How cool! Another old fogie!
wee.gif

Hope there is room in this party for a newbie. I'm 27, and this is my first hatch!

My friend gave me a redwood incubator cabinet and I fired it up a few days ago to make sure everything was working. It holds temp nice and steady and humidity is easy to adjust by opening/closing the vents in the back. I have three temp/hygro in different spots inside to compare. It also auto-turns about every 2 hours.

My friend gave me four eggs from her hens. There is one blue egg and three brown. Her flock is a barnyard mix. I think the Roo is a RIR and the hens are all different. Some EE, SLW, GLW, black sex-link something, and a few others. The eggs were laid yesterday morning and she brought them over this morning. I am letting them sit about 8 hours before putting them in the incubator.

They are difficult to candle. I think I can see the yolk in the blue egg but nothing in the brown. Technically these eggs were shipped because they were in a car for about an hour, but I don't see any bubbles inside.

Will let you all know how this goes. My friend has offered to keep giving me eggs until I get it figured out, because I eventually want to order some black or copper maran eggs online and don't want to waste my money. And in the future I am thinking about branching out into other birds such as partridge, mandarin ducks, and pheasants.

Wish me luck for my first round!

I set 17 eggs in the middle of the night last night, so hatch date is the 20th/21st. All silkies except three mystery eggs :) This is also my test run of my new brinsea. So far so good!

Back
Top Bottom