Fecal testing

There is no downside to worming, so I would definitely go ahead and worm all of them, or at least just the two. Bigger duck will need more wormer, so let me know if you need help figuring out the dose.
Thank you. I went ahead and just bought the safeguard for goats and it will be here for sure on Friday. So I can start everyone but as I am leaving on Tue they won't all get done. I'm for sure going to do these 2 now with what I have. For a 5lb bird would 1/2 gram be correct? When I get the liquid I'll need help again. My hubby would rather now have to dose when I'm gone so we agreeded that I will do everyone else when I get back unless someone else goes south. Then he will step in and dose them. I think that Skye does have gape worms

Last edited:
Thank you. I went ahead and just bought the safeguard for goats and it will be here for sure on Friday. So I can start everyone but as I am leaving on Tue they won't all get done. I'm for sure going to do these 2 now with what I have. For a 5lb bird would 1/2 gram be correct? When I get the liquid I'll need help again. My hubby would rather now have to dose when I'm gone so we agreeded that I will do everyone else when I get back unless someone else goes south. Then he will step in and dose them. I think that Skye does have gape worms
1/2 a pack for a 5 pounder is perfect! For those interested, the packs being used are 22% fenbendazole, so 1/2 pack is 110mg.

And now you know how to tube, which will make dosing Skye so much easier!
Oh yes it did! I tubed it down her so I know she got all of it and made sure there was nothing left over in the tube. I think I did it so quickly she didn't know what just happened. They are all tucked in now and we will have to see what tomorrow brings. Thank you aging for you help!

Thank you to everyone else for all the support. I love y'all!

I'm happy for you!!! Casportpony taught me how to tube chicks and chickens and I have 2 now that I have saved by just getting them over the hump with tubefeeding.

I would think about the gape worms because they are not common.

So, ricebabyca is a tubing person as well. Great.

I am not positive, but I think gapes are more common in ducks than they are in chickens, but don't quote me one that. Tubing, casportpony taught me all I know, lol.
lau.gif

I am not positive, but I think gapes are more common in ducks than they are in chickens, but don't quote me one that. Tubing, casportpony taught me all I know, lol. :lau
That is something worth looking into. I wouldn't be suprised if one species gets it more than the other. Skye started coughing all of a sudden in addition to her panting that she has been doing. The cought and head shake came out of no where an once she started she didn't really stop. Nothing like learning from the best how to tube feed!

Update on weight 2lbs 12oz so she hasn't lost anymore since yesterday. She also just got 35mL of food through the tube. She is playing in her water bowl right now and seems much happier today.

I got some pictures of the feeding and worming today. My 4 year old took the pics and I think he did pretty well. First up is Rocky my cayuga whom I'm the most worried about. The 35mL of Kaytee Exact bird food mixed at 1 part food to 2 parts (plus a little more) water. Also mixed in is the wormer and extra air in the syringe to ensure all the mix is given and nothing is left in the line when done feeding.

Now it is time for Skye, my welsh harlequin. She is getting about 10mL of food plus the wormer. I used just water last time but I had extra food made and she has lost a little weight a well.

Back
Top Bottom