Fed up to HERE!!!

Melly-Mae

Songster
Jun 11, 2018
Oklahoma
We have an over abundance of raccoons here and the nursing mommas are desperate for food. I’m assuming this was the work of a crafty coon. Do you all agree? My poor babies are apparently their goal. I lost two more last night. If they would have went inside to roost they would have been fine, but for some reason they chose to stay outside in the chicken tractor. It looks like it pulled the chick right through the wire and ate the first one. The second one was left in the tractor but it’s leg was pulled off and it bled to death. Then a third baby (any thoughts on breed?) had it’s toe bitten off. I’m so frustrated.

Attachments

• DBC9E26A-0BA4-4575-A07D-7BBCFFFF21DD.jpeg
    DBC9E26A-0BA4-4575-A07D-7BBCFFFF21DD.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 30
  • A27601D9-BD12-4EFC-A352-16C8DC50FF07.jpeg
    A27601D9-BD12-4EFC-A352-16C8DC50FF07.jpeg
    841.8 KB · Views: 31
Aww man! That stinks... SO frustrating :barnie
Instead of chicken wire, I would get hardware cloth like Thyme4Chickens suggested. It's more durable, and they can't get there little paws through it! make sure you secure it too. Another option, could be electrical fencing. I bought electrical fencing from premier 1, and it's worked wonders. We live in a very predator heavy area, and sometimes I leave the chickens out during the night because i have the chicken fence on, and nothing can get through. It's very light and easy to move, but will zap anything that comes into contact with it. I have a battery hooked up to mine. You can get the chicken fence as small as you like. A small one can look like this:
images

A larger one like this:

images

I have one of the bigger fences, and I have a mobile chicken coop made from an old trailer. I move the fence and coop weekly, and it takes very little time. It was well with the price. Not only will it keep out predators, but it will keep the chicken from getting out too.
As for your pesky raccoons, I would try and trap them and either set them free somewhere FAR away from your place ( if your not into trapping and killing.) I personally would trap them and kill them to ensure that them nor there babies could get into my chickadees!
Hope this helps!:thumbsup

That fence looks like exactly what I need!!! We have already trapped three. A big male and two nursing moms. We short the male, relocated one female and when we went to shoot the second female, Murphy intervened and she somehow escaped. I’ll be resetting all three live traps tonight. Thank you for showing me the fence you were talking about! It’s on my “to get” list

Back
Top Bottom