feed at night

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lvesdg1, Oct 12, 2010.

1. lvesdg1

lvesdg1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2009
    St Petersburg
    when i put the chickens in for the night do i need to give them water and feed or one or the other?

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    no they do not need either..... I let mine out at first light...

when it is dark......the chickens do not eat or drink.... they sleep

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How are you feeding them now? I leave feed/water out 24/7 but a lot of people bring it in at night to help keep rodent problems under control. It is important (especially as we go into winter) that they have feed and water available before they go to roost so that they can go to bed with a full crop.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:X2

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:X2

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I make sure they have some food in their feeder when I lock up for the night...there is usually some left the next morning when I go out to check on them and get started for the day. I want to be sure everyone has had a chance to eat all they want before it gets too dark.

In the past I filled the feeder every evening and again in the morning but I have a mouse (most likely MICE) in the compost pile that is located near the run and have seen a mouse run up to the door only to be greeted by 3 chickens hoping he came under the door...so I'm assuming they have discovered the feed...I don't want to put 10#'s of feed out so they have a feast!

7. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    My chickens always have feed and water available day and night. I never know what the morning is going to bring so there is no guarantee I will be out there at first light. At least I know they are okay if I cannot get out there.

8. InParadise

InParadise Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Quote:Same here. [​IMG]

9. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Food and water 24/7.

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i keep everyone's feed inside the coop at all times, to keep it from spilling on the ground outside and attracting mice and rats. i keep a waterer inside and one outside. At night i tip the outside waterers on their heads, again to discourage mice and rats. Started this after i saw some big rats running into the pens at night, helping themselves to a nice big drink of water.

Chickens don't eat or drink at night, but if they wake up before i do, at least they can munch a bit before i let them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by