Feed change

Trish1947

Songster
Nov 2, 2021
Arizona
My chickens are just about old enough to begin laying eggs. They are between 16 and 18 weeks old ( Jersey Giant, Morans and Wyandot). I thought I would begin adding lay mash/crumble to their starter/grower. Would this be advisable? Also, the rooster eats the same food as the chickens and is healthy and beautiful. So.. I assume this is ok? Not sure how I would feed him separately.

I feed an All-flock type feed. Then, I provide free-choice OS in a SEPARATE dish, where it cannot get wet. Extra calcium can be harmful to males, even though they look find on the outside. Males and females alike will go eat the OS when needed. Chickens are pretty good about regulating their feed and calcium needs. Even though some hens may prefer dried and crushed egg shells, all of my chickens do well on OS. All-flock/grower is suitable for pullets, cockerels, chicks, roosters, and even active layers.

My chickens are just about old enough to begin laying eggs. They are between 16 and 18 weeks old ( Jersey Giant, Morans and Wyandot). I thought I would begin adding lay mash/crumble to their starter/grower. Would this be advisable? Also, the rooster eats the same food as the chickens and is healthy and beautiful. So.. I assume this is ok? Not sure how I would feed him separately.
What are you feeding them now? I feed my ladies all flock with oyster/egg shell on the side, so when I have chicks they can all eat the same food.

My general recommend, for the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management is that they feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser-type feed to all their birds all their lives, without regard to age, gender, laying-status, or molting status. Together with Oyster Shell and Grit in seperate dishes, free choice.

All Flock/Flock-raiser type defined as an 18-20% protein feed, about 3.5% fat +/-, about 3.5% fiber +/-, about 1.5% calcium +/- (in ddecreasing order of importance).

Crumbles are best if you have chicks, of course. Pellets are fine to control waste if all your birds are larger. Making a wet mash of it is just fine, as is fermenting. Straight out of the bag is fine too.

Full Disclosure - this is not how I feed my birds, but I have neither the typical flock, nor the typical management, and am better able to judge the risks and benefits of an alternative diet than most.

I feed an All-flock type feed. Then, I provide free-choice OS in a SEPARATE dish, where it cannot get wet. Extra calcium can be harmful to males, even though they look find on the outside. Males and females alike will go eat the OS when needed. Chickens are pretty good about regulating their feed and calcium needs. Even though some hens may prefer dried and crushed egg shells, all of my chickens do well on OS. All-flock/grower is suitable for pullets, cockerels, chicks, roosters, and even active layers.
That’s great advice. Thanks so much.

My general recommend, for the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management is that they feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser-type feed to all their birds all their lives, without regard to age, gender, laying-status, or molting status. Together with Oyster Shell and Grit in seperate dishes, free choice.

All Flock/Flock-raiser type defined as an 18-20% protein feed, about 3.5% fat +/-, about 3.5% fiber +/-, about 1.5% calcium +/- (in ddecreasing order of importance).

Crumbles are best if you have chicks, of course. Pellets are fine to control waste if all your birds are larger. Making a wet mash of it is just fine, as is fermenting. Straight out of the bag is fine too.

Full Disclosure - this is not how I feed my birds, but I have neither the typical flock, nor the typical management, and am better able to judge the risks and benefits of an alternative diet than most.
appreciate all this information. I will check my feed store for all flock. I never heard of it but that’s doesn’t mean much. I am new to this and didnt even know to ask of such a feed. Thanks again

appreciate all this information. I will check my feed store for all flock. I never heard of it but that’s doesn’t mean much. I am new to this and didnt even know to ask of such a feed. Thanks again
All flock or flock maker, I've seen mostly Purina and Dumor brands at my local feed stores. But they should be able to point you in the right direction. And don't forget about the oyster shell ;)

Back
Top Bottom