feed chick starter to quail chicks?

ChickFila

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Like in a previous question, I lockdown 40 eggs and 20 were hatched today.
I don't have a gamebird starter yet, went to feed store but they were closed because today is Sunday.
Can I grind (or smash) chick starter (to make it into smaller pieces) and give to quail chicks?
They are much smaller than chicken chicks, and I am not sure if it's ok or not.
Of course, I will buy a game bird starter first thing tomorrow morning...

So, should I grind or smash chick starter? Or just give it as it is (not grind or smash)?
Thanks!

the chick starter my local southern states co op sells is medicated I have been using it for quail the first 2 weeks I switch them over to purinia startena usually in the middle of the second week I am not sure if this is right but it is working so far

I didn't think chick starter had enough protein for quail. Since the protein content between chick starter and game bird feed is very different, about 18% vs 30%, this seems to be an important question. As a newbie with quail, I will be interested in hearing more views on this.

UGCM

Layer pellets are to big. but the crumbles will keep them alive. I would look into neutrina wild game feed quickly - lay off purina untill we get the green light. I read a recall on them the other day

It depends really. I've never mashed up my crumbles, but some brands may be larger crumbles than others. I've raised them on 20% and 24%, and haven't had any losses either way. So long as it is not medicated, you'll be fine. Mine have actually done well enough that I plan to use a 22% broiler mash for them from now on.

Back
Top Bottom