Feed is strewn about coop

I had a big problem with my chickens wasting feed. They would bill the feed out of the feeder (an automatic feeder for dogs) and once the feed was on the ground it seemed as though they could no longer see it, to them it "became invisible". Even when I tried not filling the feeder for a day or 2 they didn't eat the spilled feed! I built feeders out of 4" pvc and placed them at crop height and I no longer have a problem (or at least not a significant one).

I have a few of those wall-mounted metal feeders and I cut a piece of 1X0.5 inch hardware cloth to fit across the bottom pan where the birds get their feed. I cut it a bit longer than the opening & bent it into an L, and inserted it down through the top so the bent part caught the back edge of the feed opening and stayed in place. This eliminated the billing.

It also helps to feed pellets instead of crumbles, so when food is spilled it's easier to find & retrieve.

Perhaps you could also put a different material under & near the feeder, a plastic mat or piece of plywood or something, so their spilled feed doesn't get lost.

i don't really have much of a problem with my birds wasting feed but when i had my meat chickens in a tractor it was a pain to move a food bowl everyday, so i made a hanging feeder out of 2 feet of stove pipe and a plant pot base. just make sure that the planter base is a couple inches bigger than the stove pipe and cut slots into the stove pipe and then attach the stove pipe to the planter at the same end as the slots. its basicaly the same as a commercial hanging feeder just free.

Mrs. K :

I see that most of you elevate the feeder, either by hanging or by setting it on something, why is that? Why don't you set it on the ground? mk

They would throw sawdust bedding into it when scratching around. Sawdust looks the same as Flock Raiser crumbles so they couldn't reclaim the feed.
tongue.png

Putting my feeder on a block solved the problem.

Also lots of times people raise the feeder to keep birds from raking feed out with their feet.​

I used a length of plastic pvc house guttering and two end caps. I mounted on a custom made shelf to where the top of it is 8" above coop floor. I put a 2x4 on edge in the back half and that makes it only 2' across instead of 4". I put a strip of vinyl siding above it and just above the trough, a 2x2 nailed to wall studs full length of the trough. It makes the vinyl siding taper out to where the back half of the trough is covered. Makes it impossible for chooks to perch on it and also insures no poop in it ever. Works great, cannot be tipped over and no waste whatsoever. Makes for more floor space too beinig that it is mounted to wall beneath nesting shelf. The shelf I built for it has a lip on front edge and there are two screws in two wall studs just above back edge to keep trough from being tipped. I have to lift first, then slide it towards me to remove it, so it is very secure, but no tools required to remove if needed.

I did two and used to do water in one. Had to remove and rinse twice weekly due to litter getting kicked into water, so moved all water outside of coop and only food inside. Better that way as in AM when I let the inmates out they all want a drink so I immediately shut them out until my chores are done. Easier with no chooks underfoot that way. No poop , no waste ever. sitting in an out of the way place, not in middle of floor. Works for me.
wink.png

I built a feed bin out of scraps of wood (from building the coop). It works great! I don't have any problem with wasted feed. I am feeding layer pellets. The feeder turns out to be bigger than was really needed but I wanted to build it too big rather than too small. It holds about 150 lbs of food. I usually let them empty it and then put 100 lbs of feed in it (I don't usually fill it). This will last about 4 weeks for my 17 standard size pullets.

19676_feeder.jpg

Back
Top Bottom