Feed mill recipe

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mortimer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mortimer

Mortimer In the Brooder

May 6, 2008
    SW of Wichita, KS
    Good afternoon BYC'ers

We're going to do a large batch of meat birds this spring, about 50 birds. I have a feed mill nearby where I can get feed by the ton for WAAAAY cheaper than 50lb bags at TSC, but I have no idea what to tell them as far as ratios, ingredients, how to mix, etc.

Can someone help me out? I'm new to this, I have no idea what to order. Last year we did 10 Cornish X's and just fed them with 50lb bags of grower/finisher from TSC, but with 50-60 birds it's MUCH cheaper to buy it by the ton.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Recon

Recon In the Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    If I was gonna buy a ton of food and raise 50-60 birds, I would expect to have about a quarter of a ton left over.

4. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chirping

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    Quote:I agree, if you plan on doing raising cx your don't need that much feed. With rangers oe a DP you may though.

If you tell your mill what you are doing they will probably have a feed mix that they usually use. See what they usually use and modify if you want to. If they don't have a mix that they have used they probably aren't a very good mill.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I now have them add a couple pounds of kelp to this ration as well. It helps to add some trace minerals and is all natural.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  6. seedcorn

seedcorn Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Most mills will have access to premix's to grind poultry feed. As soon as you vary, expect the price to go up as to access ingredients that they don't normally use will be more expensive for them (& you).

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Not my mill. For example they sell a premix 15% layer feed that runs $8.75/bag. I just got a custom made 17% layer for $7.56/bag and it has some unique ingrediants, and it is higher in protein. The reason being is they put additional mark-up on the stuff they keep on the shelf because the people that are buying it are using less, so they try to make more $/bag.

8. Recon

Recon In the Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    I think I need to find a mill. I just paid $15.30 per 50lb bag for 20% and that was at a 10% discount!

9. Country Parson

Country Parson Songster

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Quote:I'm fairly close to you. What feed mill are you referring to? I would love to get a 50lb bag of feed for $7.56! I'm paying almost $14.

10. Knittycat

Knittycat Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    How does one *find* a mill in the first place? I'd love to buy from a mill instead of TSC or the feed store which only sells Purina.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: