Feed - OK or moldy?

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
We just opened up new feed bag and the crumble color is a mix of light and dark. No clumps and the distribution seems even - at least at the top part of the bag. We noticed that the feed is different in color new bag vs older bag (but the age difference is only 5 weeks). Same feed, but the production dates are about 5 weeks apart.

Storage has been indoors, in the bag, since we brought it home. Purchased at TSC. The feed smells OK, not moldy, but the newer crumble smells more strongly, and seems to have a bit more "vitamin" smell. Due to the greenish color of the darker bits, we are concerned that there may be something wrong with the crumble. We have seen color differences between brands of feed, but have never seen this greenish tint. My 11yo is concerned about killing the birds if they eat contaminated feed. Since the color distribution seems even, although a mix of light and dark, I wonder if it is just normal variation.

So, please let us know if we can feed the Chicks (4 weeks old chicks) this new bag of feed! Thx in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 9.54.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 9.55.00 AM.png

What's the mill date on the bag? I took back a bag of Purina Flock Raiser to TSC a month ago because of the color being off, and the chickens refusing to eat it. Mine was labeled Feb 6, from STJ plant. (St. Joseph, MO) I wrote to Purina w pics like yours and their response was that each plant sources their own ingredients and it can vary. I NEVER had it vary noticeably before. I found a store that gets their Purina Flock Raiser from a different plant. If I hadn't, I was going to switch brands.
the date and plant are printed on the white tape on the bottom of the bag....the 8 in the beginning stand for 2018.
View attachment 1319935

Last edited:
I've worked at a petfood plant and now work in a swine feedmill. If your feed has a greenish color to it then take it back to the store for a swap or refund. Green usually indicates mold. They could have had a chunk of feed sticking on inside if packaging bin that was moldy and fell off during packaging. Most feed manufacturers out a best by date of a year from the date of packaging. That gives it plenty of time to get from mill,to storage warehouse,to store,to shelf,to consumer,to your animals. Hope this helps.

I have gotten bad feed from them before, IMHO if you are in doubt either throw it out or take it back to the store. I personally think the loss of $20 or so is less of an issue than sick or dead birds. My bad feed always has a very strong chemical smell, looks greenish or grayish or white, either crumbles to dust or clumps. It just doesn't look right. I don't mess with it if in doubt. I now smell the sewn strip of the bag before purchase (also always check the date on the bag strip), strong smell, get a different bag. People in the store probably think I'm a bit nuts smelling bags, but the smell is pretty strong and comes through. I've seen pallets of feed sitting in the rain, or wet pallets that just got brought in. Ingredients can vary batch to batch, and the handling of the bag before it gets to the ultimate purchaser is always an unknown.

What's the mill date on the bag? I took back a bag of Purina Flock Raiser to TSC a month ago because of the color being off, and the chickens refusing to eat it. Mine was labeled Feb 6, from STJ plant. (St. Joseph, MO) I wrote to Purina w pics like yours and their response was that each plant sources their own ingredients and it can vary. I NEVER had it vary noticeably before. I found a store that gets their Purina Flock Raiser from a different plant. If I hadn't, I was going to switch brands.
the date and plant are printed on the white tape on the bottom of the bag....the 8 in the beginning stand for 2018.

The mill dates are on the pics. So, they arent very old, which is why we were surprised.

Take it back, don't get more from that date. If possible, use another store. Purina and TSC guarantee their products and the only hassle will be lugging that heavy bag back to the store.

Of course, it’s Easter Sunday. Feed would have looked just fine if it was not a holiday - LOL.

Not sure TSC is open today to buy more. We are out of the good feed. I have non medicated chick feed for my quail.

Back
Top Bottom