Feed Pricing - looking ahead

I know of no mill close enough that the savings would offset fuel prices and my flock is far too small for bulk.
Usually if you buy in bulk they will bring it to you. You're right though, it would only make sense for a large flock. The thing I find most interesting is how discounted it is per pound. I have a friend who pays about .22 cents/lb delivered.

Everything is going up and I feel to break us so we have no choice but to rely on corporate. It's only farmers and small businesses suffering after all. I'm going to dig my heels into the ground and do whatever I gotta do to survive this onslaught. If my chickens have to survive on land and scraps and be a bit scrawny, so be it.

Everything is going up and I feel to break us so we have no choice but to rely on corporate. It's only farmers and small businesses suffering after all. I'm going to dig my heels into the ground and do whatever I gotta do to survive this onslaught. If my chickens have to survive on land and scraps and be a bit scrawny, so be it.
I've been looking into tree hay (which I just recently heard about for the first time) and other things my birds could eat in a pinch. Lots of ways to feed them that I never considered or knew about.

Wow. If I've read your posts correctly, you have price controls on eggs and meat but not feed. Is this correct?
Yes, price control on medium eggs at just under $2 a dozen & some thigh/drumsticks are price controlled too, as are 'soup' chickens. I can turn any old bird into a fine meal or three :D Grain is NOT price controlled.
I agree with the sentiment that this feels intentional. When I was living in the states, just about everything involving growing your own food started becoming 'against the rules'. Even here in Panama, buying garden seeds... that will actually grow... impossible. I tried for several years, and the package says the seed is in date, but the dang things just won't sprout or grow... (mind ya now, absolutely NOTHING is guaranteed to actually be what it's supposed to be or do what it's supposed to do here, it's a buyer-beware country).

I fear that the handful of birds I'm considering keeping will have to do just that, survive on what they can forage and scraps. Lucky for them that I can plant pigeon peas (high in protein), and already have loads of banana & papaya on the property. At the price of grain lately, I can toss a bit of hamburger into the scrap bucket to be sure they're getting enough protein, and still come out ahead.

I don't have the same options for supplementing as folks in the EU or USA (or most anywhere), small country means less choices at market.

Where do you get your bulk feed and what brand? I'm paying approx $0.56/lb for non-gmo layer feed and would like to cut costs.
I source from a few different places. This time was Kentucky Organic Farm & Feed. Here is their price sheet for anyone interested: https://www.optimaplatform.com/optimamedia/products/P_26344/8f53478e-9922-4567-9301-4b16830750e1.pdf Their 50 lb bag prices are pretty reasonable, I think also.

The biggest price difference between one mill and another seems to depend the most on how far they are and, if shipping is necessary, how much that costs. If you can find one that is nearby and either pick up or have them deliver on their trucks instead of going freight, that seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Another good one in the Carolinas that we have ordered by freight delivery that ships the same day usually is Reedy Fork.

New Country Organics is what we've used for a few years, but we've had quality issues a few times this last year so went looking for other options.

I've been looking into tree hay (which I just recently heard about for the first time) and other things my birds could eat in a pinch. Lots of ways to feed them that I never considered or knew about.
I had never heard of tree hay, and looked it up as soon as I read your post. Very interesting. While i think it might work better for my goats than chickens, I am gonna cut some tree hay in June and save to feed to both chickens and goats next winter. Thanks for posting that!

https://www.agricology.co.uk/field/blog/tree-hay-forgotten-fodder

Back
Top Bottom