Feed Pricing - looking ahead

What were you quality issues? I feed that. What should I be looking for in terms of problems? Thanks.
We've loved NCO and have bought it by the ton for a long time.

Last fall we had some metal flakes in a tote of layer mash that were non magnetic and they replaced the tote immediately. It was determined that a machine had lost a part.

Last month we got a tote of layer pellets full of what looked like stretchy blue gloves, plastic, cloth and other trash. They suspected it had been messed with during shippng and I wished as much as they did that this was the case, but the debris had gone through the pelletizer and was actually part of the pellets. The plastic was partially pelletized and partially chunks up to 3 inches wide. Cloth bags same. They agreed that the only explanation for this was issues with some of their staff. They apologized profusely, but were slow to do more than that.

They took (and I gave them) a whole month of discussing it internally and I agreed to a replacement which they hadn't sent a week after it was offered. At that point I asked them not to send me anything as we were out of feed at that point and needed to replace it. They eventually refunded me the tote, but I'm still out the $350 or so of freight for them to have shipped me junk. My worry is, if staff finds it fun to dump things I CAN see and identify into the feed, what else is in it that I can't see?

So, we are taking a break from NCO. The others I listed above have been much faster to get the orders out of the mill on top of the obvious positive of not finding unexpected items mixed in. Hope things eventually get better at NCO also.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll weigh that with freshness and price to make the best choice on any given day. It looks like Dumor will have the best price at .35/lb then the Nutrena line at .42/lb with FR at .44/lb.
REALLY??? Nutrena is a 40# bag, not 50#, assuming that (FR) is Purina's Flock Raiser.

Or are you in one of the few States where Nutrena is sold at significant per bag discount to the Purina?

Unless my math was way off. TSC Jonesville/Newberry, FL. But really, I think it was mostly the jump in FR price. 16.99 to 21.79.
we could have been neighbors, actually - the wife and I bid on 20 acres in Bell a couple years back, but the seller kept raising the price. Ended up four hours away, in the Panhandle, as a result.

They eventually refunded me the tote, but I'm still out the $350 or so of freight for them to have shipped me junk. My worry is, if staff finds it fun to dump things I CAN see and identify into the feed, what else is in it that I can't see?
Oh, that does seem bad. Do they have 2 mills? I get mine from Virginia. I'm guessing that is where you got yours.

FWIW, I'm sticking with FR for now. The savings on Nutrena was marginal and Dumor would only save me $3/week. (don't remind me of cumulative).

Small world, Panhandle brother.
FR is the better feed, nutritionally, anyways.

and I won't do the DuMor math.

Unfortunately, the mill I use doesn't ship so far south as you. Another poster asked for help finding local mills in the (roughly) I-4 corridor +/- 60 miles, and there were surprisingly few.

Alachua Feed and Seed in Gainesville was destroyed by fire back in February, today they finally got a permit to begin removing the debris!

Back
Top Bottom