Feed questions....??

It might.

@WhoDatChick Does it smell funky?
How hot is it?...stick a good thermometer in there.
Did you check the MFG date?
Another thought, any sign of grain mites in there?
Have had problems this time of year with grain mites in FR.
I don’t see any bugs.. but I just checked the date.. if I’m looking at the correct thing then it says March ... they may have taken the crumbles off the truck.. that says May.. and got the pellets from the back... I’m guessing March would be old? And it doesn’t smell bad but has a strong sweet sort of smell...

It does not take much moisture to start the fermentation process. Once the process starts the heat differential creates more moisture and the cycle builds. This is why a bail of damp hay put into barn can cause a barn fire over time from the heat produced by rotting process. That's why I separate my feed and don't keep it in bulk.

@aart is right also in that the age of the feed cam contribute to the problem. The feed either came moist or somehow moisture is getting into it. I would look to control the entry of moisture if it is happening with more than 1 bag of feed.
The crumbles seem fine in the can.. do you think it’s the tote that can add heat/moisture? Even though I removed the top.. and there is no way it is getting wet here... maybe the last two bags have been old... and I even asked for fresh bags! I may need to find a new store...

Can you elaborate on the quote above? Are these pellets that are turning to powder?
I think it must be what’s happening to it because it is probably old... and some of the other bags have done this too but I never did actually check the date :oops:... I know.. duh!
But because it’s old it gets hot like that?? And is it bad for the chickens?

Can you elaborate on the quote above? Are these pellets that are turning to powder?
Yes, it’s pellets but it also happened to the crumbles before.. I just never noticed it like powder in my other bags.. I’m concluding it’s because it’s old ... I guess it was already hot from sitting in the warehouse for so long...?

I think it must be what’s happening to it because it is probably old... and some of the other bags have done this too but I never did actually check the date :oops:... I know.. duh!
But because it’s old it gets hot like that?? And is it bad for the chickens?

As the feed ferments it will definately crumble.

The moisture could have been in the feed when you bought it as well. It did not have to happen at your house.

If you have a different type of feed that is not behaving the way this kind is, I would switch. I would also look to use that same container system if you can. I don't know enough to say if it is bad for the chickens. I can't see it or smell it. But I would probably discard it myself just to be safe, but that is me.

Back
Top Bottom