Feed questions....??

Always ask for help. Don't ever feel embarrassed or like an idiot. Sometimes just talking it out makes things become clear. Where else can you find chicken people to talk this stuff out with? That's one of the great things about this site.
:thumbsup

Bye the way, I'm starting to think that the feed was most likely moist when you got it.
Thank you so much! That makes me feel better and you are so right! I sure do love it here :love

And I think you may be right about the damp feed as well..
I’ll be examining those feed bags from now on!

Darn, I always miss the night owl discussions! Lark is up and at it now tho.

Just to be clear, we are talking about Purina Flock Raiser, both pellets and crumble??
I have used this feed almost exclusively for 5 years, just the crumble formulation.

and is it normal for it to turn to powder?
As the feed ferments it will definately crumble.
Powder in feed can be from the way it was processed, the 'crumbler' can produce a coarser or finer result. This could be from the formulation itself and/or the operation of the equipment and/or the handling after the crumbling, bagging, trucking, etc. Have had a few bags that were much dustier than others...and some that were funky in other ways. Grain mites will definitely create 'dust'.

I don’t see any bugs
They are almost microscopic, look very closely for moving white specks. The way I first noticed them is that there were so many all over the outside of the bag. Store had pallets just covered with them, only a few brands and types. Thus began my journey with and education about https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/grain-mites.981212/

But because it’s old it gets hot like that??
I doubt it, but it could be a factor. I still don't understand how hot is it? And where the moisture came from.<shrugs> Could have happened anywhere between the factory and your home. Likely a multifaceted situation and hard to gather all the detailed facts after the fact. Now you can pay more attention and keep some notes maybe. I have started to record the mfg codes on all feeds. PFR is one of the easiest to read, compared to the few others I've purchased and some I've seen on forums.

The feed company wanted lot numbers on the feed, which I couldn't provide.
@Folly's place .. What feed was it, brand and model?

The feed store will likely tell you it's good for six months or more.
Yep, TSC told me their shelf time protocol is 6 months, whether that is dictated by the feed companies or TSC , I dunno. I seriously doubt that feeds are tested for the longevity efficacy of the vitamins/minerals/amino acids and other nutrient values. That's why there is not a 'use by' date on the feed bags like there are on drugs and human foods. The fresher the better, for sure, but the freshest I've seen in my store is a couple weeks old, average is 1-2 months...especially since I mentioned it(several times) to the staff. Supply and demand plays a big part there....could go on and on about that, but gotta go let the birds out.

Last edited:
I missed the brand name of the feed earlier. I switched to Purina crumbles 2 bags ago because it felt like the Dumor was old and "fermenty" smelling. I noticed that while my store carried flats of Dumor, they only seemed to have 5-6 bags of Purina. I was hoping that the stock turned over more frequently. This has become a very interesting thread.

Darn, I always miss the night owl discussions! Lark is up and at it now tho.

Just to be clear, we are talking about Purina Flock Raiser, both pellets and crumble??
I have used this feed almost exclusively for 5 years, just the crumble formulation.

Powder in feed can be from the way it was processed, the 'crumbler' can produce a coarser or finer result. This could be from the formulation itself and/or the operation of the equipment and/or the handling after the crumbling, bagging, trucking, etc. Have had a few bags that were much dustier than others...and some that were funky in other ways. Grain mites will definitely create 'dust'.

They are almost microscopic, look very closely for moving white specks. The way I first noticed them is that there were so many all over the outside of the bag. Store had pallets just covered with them, only a few brands and types. Thus began my journey with and education about https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/grain-mites.981212/

I doubt it, but it could be a factor. I still don't understand how hot is it? And where the moisture came from.<shrugs> Could have happened anywhere between the factory and your home. Likely a multifaceted situation and hard to gather all the detailed facts after the fact. Now you can pay more attention and keep some notes maybe. I have started to record the mfg codes on all feeds. PFR is one of the easiest to read, compared to the few others I've purchased and some I've seen on forums.

@Folly's place .. What feed was it, brand and model?

Yep, TSC told me their shelf time protocol is 6 months, whether that is dictated by the feed companies or TSC , I dunno. I seriously doubt that feeds are tested for the longevity efficacy of the vitamins/minerals/amino acids and other nutrient values. That's why there is not a 'use by' date on the feed bags like there are on drugs and human foods. The fresher the better, for sure, but the freshest I've seen in my store is a couple weeks old, average is 1-2 months...especially since I mentioned it(several times) to the staff. Supply and demand plays a big part there....could go on and on about that, but gotta go let the birds out.
Yes, Purina Flock Raiser.. I’m trying to get them to switch to pellets only as I feel the crumbles waste a lot.. plus, the crumbles are so powdery that the powder covers the crumbles in the feeder.. I never really had this problem with the Dumor... that’s what I switched from as well @BY Bob .... the last bag of Purina crumbles I had got hot also... and that was another reason why I wanted to try to switch to pellets as I thought maybe it had something to do with crumbles :confused:..... I don’t believe there are bugs... and the wetness was on the tote without contact from the bag of feed.. and the feed was not wet.. just hot and maybe damp.. I would turn it around in the bag to cool it.. so I thought..
Now, it could be the way the store.. stores it.. cuz the Dumor came from TSC and the Purina comes from a local feed store.. the last time I checked TSC did not have the Purina. TSC keeps theirs inside the store with ac but the feed store keeps theirs in a warehouse out back.. perhaps that could contribute to this problem.. since you get yours from TSC I’ll try getting it from them and see what happens.. I was under the assumption that they didn’t sell it..
Thanks again! :)

Okay, so here is what seems to be the obvious conclusion.. old feed.. I went to TSC when the “hot” pellets ran out and they do not carry PFR pellets.. I believe they had the crumbles but I didn’t need any of that.. so, went back to feed store :rolleyes:... anyway, come to find out the feed store is no longer carrying the PFR pellets and they had to throw out their remaining stock as it went bad.. so they apparently sold me some old stuff they were waiting to throw out.. well, they only had the Nutrena All Flock.. so I got some of that and it seems fine so far.. and the gals seem to like it as it looks like they are eating all the pellets and leaving the crumbles.. so it looks like I may have successfully gotten the gals to switch to pellets only :celebrate... thanks everyone! Here is what I got..
F64FF2A1-6FC0-406B-827E-E8454FB8FA22.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom