Feed questions....??

As the feed ferments it will definately crumble.

The moisture could have been in the feed when you bought it as well. It did not have to happen at your house.

If you have a different type of feed that is not behaving the way this kind is, I would switch. I would also look to use that same container system if you can. I don't know enough to say if it is bad for the chickens. I can't see it or smell it. But I would probably discard it myself just to be safe, but that is me.
Thanks so much! I just finished the bag today.. did you see where I said the date was March? Is that old? And if so, why would the store sell old feed? I guess from now on I’ll get only one month away.. AND check the date at the store..

I had a neurological chick, one out of about fifty that summer, and had a necropsy done (fearing Marek's disease!). She had granulomatous lesions in her brain, secondary to a vitamin deficiency. At that time, I was dumping the feed into the garbage cans, and not paying attention to mill dates either. The feed company wanted lot numbers on the feed, which I couldn't provide. Lessons learned!
The feed company reimbursed me for the cost of the chick and the necropsy anyway, which was extremely nice of them. We agreed that this one chick had a exceptionally high requirement for that vitamin, unusual.
And it wasn't Marek's disease!!!
Mary

Thanks so much! I just finished the bag today.. did you see where I said the date was March? Is that old? And if so, why would the store sell old feed? I guess from now on I’ll get only one month away.. AND check the date at the store..

These seem like reasonable changes. That is pretty old for feed. The store sells it because they can make money on it. Unfortunately it is up to you to get the best feed for your flock. No store cares as much as you do. It is sad but true.

I had a neurological chick, one out of about fifty that summer, and had a necropsy done (fearing Marek's disease!). She had granulomatous lesions in her brain, secondary to a vitamin deficiency. At that time, I was dumping the feed into the garbage cans, and not paying attention to mill dates either. The feed company wanted lot numbers on the feed, which I couldn't provide. Lessons learned!
The feed company reimbursed me for the cost of the chick and the necropsy anyway, which was extremely nice of them. We agreed that this one chick had a exceptionally high requirement for that vitamin, unusual.
And it wasn't Marek's disease!!!
Mary
Thanks! I’m def checking dates from now on! I know I sound like an idiot asking all this and coming to find out it’s as simple as old feed.. but I still think it’s weird how the inside of the tote was wet... I keep the feed in it’s bag but inside the tote...

Thanks! I’m def checking dates from now on! I know I sound like an idiot asking all this and coming to find out it’s as simple as old feed.. but I still think it’s weird how the inside of the tote was wet... I keep the feed in it’s bag but inside the tote...

Always ask for help. Don't ever feel embarrassed or like an idiot. Sometimes just talking it out makes things become clear. Where else can you find chicken people to talk this stuff out with? That's one of the great things about this site.
:thumbsup

Bye the way, I'm starting to think that the feed was most likely moist when you got it.

Back
Top Bottom